Laminate damproof - bin bags!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Levelled my m-i-l concrete floor a few years ago and laid vinyl planks - have lasted well, but she now wants click laminate.

Went off to B&Q yesterday to get her pensioner discount and came back with the flooring [her neighbour went with her].

Flooring + correct underlay is there - but no membrane. I told her I'd go and get it today as i need to get a few tools to do the job - spacers, pull bar, saw etc.

"Dave told me I wouldn't need the membrane as the vinyl would act as a barrier [and to put bin liners on top if need be for peace of mind]"

Searched the forum for "bin liners as membrane" but got no hits!!

Added it on to my list to pick up today.

Homer

Sponsored Links
Hi Homer,

The Damp Proof Membranes that are solid in most e-commerce and retail stores are specifically designed to keep out moisture. Bin liners are 'Water Resistant' but would not be sufficient for keep moisture away from flooring.

Flooring's worst enemy is moisture so it's worth going the extra length to get the added protection a DPM (Damp Proof Membrane) will give you.

Hope this helps.

Luke

Thanks Luke, I'll get the membrane tomorrow - it is going to be the least of my worries :(

Went over today to start clearing the kitchen and soon saw major difficulties for my level of skill.
The washing machine, dishwasher and tumble dryer all protrude from under the worktop and kickboards by a fair bit - no nice "just run the laminate under the kickboard by a an inch or two" for me!!
It's a pretty small kitchen about 3m x 3m at the widest points, but how I'm going to get the laminate finished off neatly around these appliances is already giving me the shakes :cry:

Any tips from everyone on here would be much appreciated.
I'm wary about not putting appliances on top of laminate, but, what an easy quick fix that would be in this case.

The cooker and fridge/freezer are less of an issue in comparison to the other 3 appliances.

Sorry for the mediocre images - it was the only phone camera I could borrow.

Help!!

Homer

Washing machine

Dishwasher

Tumble Dryer

Cooker

Can you place plywood - of the same hight of the wood-engineered and underlayment together - underneath the appliances? You will then be able to move the appliances in and out their spot whenever needed without having to lift them over the edge of your new floor.

(Installing them ontop of the wood-engineered boards could cause problems later on, they will work as restrictions on the natural movement of the wood floor.)

Sponsored Links
Can you place plywood - of the same hight of the wood-engineered and underlayment together - underneath the appliances?
That is the way I'm going to do it - thanks.

I will take the bottom decor covers off each appliance once I have them on plywood and run the laminate a couple of inches under each. [may need to allow an extra cut to accomadate the front two feet].

With the decor panels back on I hope the overall effect is that the laminate 'appears' to go further in than it really is. Plus moving them in and out will be a darned lot easier to do.

Now I'm far more confident about making a start now :)

Thanks to Floormaker and yourself for the advice.

Cheers

Homer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back