laminate floor bouncing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had fitted in my lounge some beautiful quick step laminate flooring. used along side durlay excel gold underlay, which is a acoustic underlay.
Very pleased with it apart from one small thing... between two of the rooms the floor dips very slightly when it goes from concrete in the extension to the original floorboards in other side of room. Its enough to give a substantial "bounce" to certain surrounding areas around the dip. its not bad but the dip is noticeable, theres no creaking, and the joints still look tight. no furniture has been laid.

do i need to be worried about the dip and slight bounce in areas? will it cause problems later down the line?

the floor is straight on both sides of the room, the issues only occurs around the dip where the concrete part meets the normal floorboards.

Sponsored Links
Any professional floor layer would/should have taken the in-place site conditions into account before laying anything. If one obvious condition is wrong then the possibility is that other, more hidden, difficulties lie in wait?

In theory no creaking or bounce is acceptable but its amazing what some people will put up with - its very subjective.

If the condition annoys you then the finished floor will have to come up, and remedial action taken to sort out the "dip".

If the deflection is too great it will eventually snap joints, which is why it comes with a warning too lay on flat even floors only.

Sponsored Links
Flooring instructions normally state no more than 2-3mm . Depends type of foot traffic and angle to joints , you may get away with a tiny bit more.

along the dip the balances vary. in the corner where dip starts it 8mm at its highest point (in which that area measures around 30cm x 30cm), but this is in only in one small section.
then the rest of the dip is around 3-4mm max in all areas before floor straightens out again...

can i get away with the above?
rest of the floor is level, its only where concrete meets floorboards in the small dip

along the dip the balances vary. in the corner where dip starts it 8mm at its highest point (in which that area measures around 30cm x 30cm), but this is in only in one small section.
then the rest of the dip is around 3-4mm max in all areas before floor straightens out again...

can i get away with the above?
rest of the floor is level, its only where concrete meets floorboards in the small dip
Only time will tell, difficult to predict.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back