Laminate floor in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of laying a laminate floor in my bathroom and would appreciate any help. How do I get a good fit round the toilet base and sink pedestal and should I leave a gap ? I cannot put it under these cos the plumbing won't stretch :(

The floor is only 6' x 4' but also has 2 small radiator pipes coming up through the floor.

I am a lady of pension age with no "super" DIY tools and not too much DIY knowledge so should I bother or stick to vinyl flooring instead ?

Thanks
M

Sponsored Links
Hi there

Make sure you have suitable laminate flooring for 'wet' areas like the bathroom, or to a lesser extent a kitchen, or else it will look good for a few months but then you will start to get problems as the water gets into it!

As for the finish, you would really be better putting it under the WC and pedestal; you could alter the plumbing to 'reach', but granted it may need a plumber (or a competent DIY friend if you are not confident). In my opinion, with limited tools and skills it would probably be harder to get a neat finish if you are going to try to cut the flooring and shape it around the items above. Concerning the radiator pipes you would usually cut a 'slot' from the board edge to where the pipe will pass through. You can then cut a small piece to fill the gap behind the pipe once fitted. Alternatively, you can drill a bigger hole than the pipe diameter (big enough to pass the pipe through), and then to cover the gap with a pipe shroud, which come in various finishes. You can also get sleeves to cover the rad pipes. Trouble with this is you will need to remove the connections to the rad and possibly the rad itself, which will require draining part, f not all of your heating system.

Also remember that you may need to lay an 'underlay', sort of a thin foam material before the laminate, and that you will need to leave a gap around the edge in accordance with the laminate manufacturers specification.

Vinyl flooring would be easier, but still tricky for a novice DIYer to get a neat finish round the edges....it is harder than you would think! Good luck whatever you choose though!

Thanks PilotPete. From what you say, it sounds a bit ambitious for me.
Sandwell- Cork tiles sound interesting but are they waterproof (and easy to cut round odd shapes)

Sponsored Links
Laying laminate in a bathroom isn't easy or desirable. Even the waterproof stuff bows if you get it too wet.

Nice vinyl with a rug looks better.

Yes they are waterproof.

Much easier to lay than laminate flooring, in my opinion.

Floor tiles sound much easier. I've read the past postings about cork and they seem difficult to find. (and remove if I ever want to) so maybe other forms ar better. Thanks again guys

One reason I suggested Cork, is because they are not as slippy as laminate or vinyl, and so much safer in bathrooms.
B & Q and Focus probably have them in stock.

morgana50 said:
Floor tiles sound much easier. I've read the past postings about cork and they seem difficult to find.
Not any more. Also available as stick-on (pre-finished) tile

EDIT: no longer in fashion, no longer available

I do :LOL:
Just a bit of advice. If we have them, others have them too. They are coming back in fashion.

Just a bit of advice :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back