Laminate floor in new kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an extension being built ready for a new kitchen.

I intend to lay laminate flooring and all of the advice I have read suggests that best practice is installing the kitchen units first and then flooring up to them.

Two questions:

1. How do I finish the edges where the laminate meets end cabinets and the sticky outy bits of the cabinets (this kitchen doesn't have a continous plinth - see picture for what I mean by sticky outy bits!)?
    Untitled.jpg

If it was a wall then you would fit scotia edging to the skirting but that would look terrible on kitchen units.

Silicone sealant?

2. If I run the flooring under the front of the cabinets a bit then presumably I will have to cut a bit off the entire length of the plinth to accomodate. Is that what you do, I can't think of any other way?

Sponsored Links
I think I'll say the same as a lot of joiners - that laminate is probably not the best choice in a kitchen....

Having said that the only way to proceed (if the units haven't yet been installed) is to run the laminate through under where the units are going, the same way that you would if you were installing tiles, and to pack or trim the kitchen units as required. Where this type of unit has already been installed first it's generally necessary to offer up a laminate offcut to the unit and cut away the bottom of the unit with a multitool in order to be able to slide the laminate beneath it (scribing isn't really feasible). The floor to unit joints are then sealed with silicone to prevent water ingress.

Take the end panels off and cut them down to allow the laminate to go under 10mm.

Thinking about it the decor end panels will need to be cut to size in any case (all the ones I've installed were over size in length and depth) so it should really be an issue.....

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. Floor hasn't even been screeded yet so I am the the planning stages. From what you have said, and I have read elsewhere, I think I am heading towards vinyl floor. Only thing is I can lay laminate but am not confident cutting and laying rolls of vinyl so will have to pay someone to do that.

Is it okay to lay the vinyl first and sit units on it, or is that still not best practice?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back