Laminate floor newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to ask a couple of questions before I start the hallway.

- Current laminate has bathroom sealent put into the edge gaps around the hallway, I presume cos the front door is directly in the hallway, so rain etc. I will likely do the same, but how can I easily get the old sealent up? Is there any product that will make this easier?

- When fitting lock type laminate flooring, which direction should the grain face? Or does it not matter?

- Lastly, where would be the best place in the hallway to start fitting? The hallway is a very long rectangle shape, but it has the stairs in it as well.

Sponsored Links
I've see a liquid sealant remover but never tried it. I've always just used a stanley knife and wallpaper scaper.

I'm a laminate floor newbie but about to put my first floor down this weekend. I also have the same question regarding grain, the instructions say lay the boards length ways towards the rooms main light source.

This will cause me to have alot more cuts (and small 3 inch boards at the end of each run). Does it matter which way the boards are laid?

If you start with 1/2 a board, you wont have small pieces at the ends. There is no more waste doing it like that.
The grain can go any way, but when you say grain direction do you mean board direction across width or down length.

If you start with 1/2 a board, you wont have small pieces at the ends. There is no more waste doing it like that.
The grain can go any way, but when you say grain direction do you mean board direction across width or down length.

Yes I could cut the first board and last board but that still twice as many cuts than if I lay them the other way. I meant board direction which is also the same as the grain direction.

I was surprised to see they recommended laying them in a certain direction, understandable in long narrow hallway but why in a square room? Does it affect the appearance once laid?

Sponsored Links
Its not the same as grain direction. Look at the grain on the board there is an up & down, thats how trees grow.
Believe what I'm saying, when wood grain was on appliances the designers would go bonkers if a panel was upside down.
I think the way its laid the light hits it and shows joins, I think thats why the advice on direction.
Its like ceramic tiling you do not want silly little strips at the ends.

Thanks for the info. I thought it might be the light falling on the joins might show they up more. The flooring i have is beveloc where the joins are bevelled to make it look more like real wood, so the joints are purposly highlighted anyway.

Sorry to hijack your thread nightfox, i would start at the front door. I cant see any direction indication on my beveloc flooring, all the boards will face the same way due to the locking part though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back