Laminate flooring installation advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted some advice on laminate floorin installation for the the following illustration layout. Basically, the direction of the arrows is the the direction i want the full length of the laminate boards. But what i'm wanted to do is have continuation all across from passage to the rooms on the left. So what I'm thinking to do is begin in the front passage going towards the stairs and then install it inwards into the rooms on the left continuing the same pattern without installing any threshold under the door. I'm thinking to cut the door frame under and then just slide the boards in. I've seen people just plain off the locking lip on the edge so the boards just lock in near the door and the jut use wood glue in that section.

Can anyone give any tips of where I should start and any other tips? Thanks? Also, I need to buy a tool to cut the door frame easily without making a mess. I read that a oscillating multi-tool is good for this. Can anyone recommend a particular tool on screwfix or toolstation maybe?

Thank you.

ccI4Y1t.png

Sponsored Links
Omitting thresholds can make the job a lot harder, thresholds help prevent expansion problems.
Just buy cheapest option if it’s for a one off job.

Last edited:
I'm just not too keen on the idea of having a door threshold there. I've seen installations where the laminate just flows through without a seam joint. Ofcourse under the door frame I will leave a little gap allowing for expansion and contraction.

I'm just not too keen on the idea of having a door threshold there. I've seen installations where the laminate just flows through without a seam joint. Ofcourse under the door frame I will leave a little gap allowing for expansion and contraction.
Depends on the area, there are limits to how much can be laid without a break .

Sponsored Links
One very good reason why door openings are given threshold strips

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back