Laminate flooring on top of old laminate flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks - this is my first ever forum post!!

We've had laminate flooring for a few years now - its great but we're looking to put in something darker. Would it be possible to simply keep the existing floor > sweep it > put down new underlayer > lay new floor? i.e. Laminates over existing laminates?

Will this pose any problems immediately or in the future? Your advice on this will be sincerely appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would lift old flooring. few reasons why. putting laminate on top could make it very bouncy as you effectively have 2 layers of underlay. cutting of doors as you are raising the height, how will this look against skirting boards? are they high enough to still "look the part"? i would suggest rip up floor use old underlay and save some pennies on buying new underlay!

The plan was to remove skirting boards and install the floor. Once finished, the skirting boards would be put back - ofcourse sitting approx 15mm higher than before. The door jams would have to cut to accommodate the 2nd laminate layer.

Your point about it all becoming bouncy seems valid - never thought of that. Couldn't I simply lay a PVC sheet or similar instead of underlayer? [as the 1st layer has underlayer anyways].

Sponsored Links
Lift the existing floor.

leaving the old floor down is a false economy, you risk damage to the new floor and aesthetically it will not look or feel right.

Uplifting the laminate should be a minimum of work, especially if you are refitting skirtings etc any way, the finish in doorways I would imagine would be poor if leaving the old floor down.

I cannot think of any reasons to leave the old floor down other than saving an hour uplifting the old and taking it to the tip? - NOT a big enough excuse to not install the new floor properly imo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back