Laminate flooring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to lay some laminate, and have removed the skirting board.

The skirting board had been nailed into splints of wood, which have been wedged between the brickwork, and this seems to have worked fine.

However it has been reinforced with bits of concrete dotted about, and this makes the bottom of the wall very uneven, meaning there will be a 1 inch gap between laminate and wall at some points.

Is this a problem or not, it won't be visible, but will it be stable? Also what is the biggest gap I could leave?

THanks in advance

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome lorme86653 :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

as long as you have 12mm expansion all round it doesn't matter

the timber in the walls are called grounds and were built in by the brickies as fixing was difficult before the hammer drill came along. Best to drill and screw your new skirting though as the old grounds may not be where you need to fix- IE at a dip that needs pulling in. As fo gap- leave what the manufacture recommends as the minimum- any more gap where it's not seen won't matter.
I've just fitted hall, kitcen, living room and cloaks cupboard at home and left 10mm all round as a minimum of 8mm to 10mm is spec'd by balterio but as i'm using 18mm skirting i wasn't fussed if it went up to 13 mm in places as its much less likely to shrink than to expand. just leave 5mm under you skirting and the gap will mever be seen ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back