Laminate hatch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a leak and had to disemble all the decorating work I've done, taking off all the skirtings board and laminate up. Unfortunately the new installation and fix for my leaking mains has to be under the floor where it runs from 25mm mdpe ( looks like a speedfit) to 15mm copper pipe. I don't want to put it all back to then have to take it all up again I would need take of radiators rip off all the skirtings again have to re paint and caulk.

So I feel a access hatch will solve any future problems. My thinking was threshold trim mitered in a square so it looks tidy, it's in the corner thank god. But has anyone done this before with any examples of a tidy finish.

In the picture the line is where I'm going to cut the ply wood to create an access point, as that's where the joist is.

Also the pipes are going to covered in mdf with magnetic cupboard hardware so you can easily take off that section for repairs. And I'll tidy it with a trim on that so it less noticeable.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 16894186690063216924253406182099.jpg
    16894186690063216924253406182099.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
Wouldn't it be more subtle without any trim around it, just a tiny (saw blade) gap? Then still have your magnets and then, assuming your laminate is well attached to the panel just lift it out with a suction pad?

Last edited:
I did think of that but abit worried about how the cut will look, not so worried about the verticals cuts but the horizontals might look abit rough, I'll give it ago first see how it looks. I thought with the trim it gives me abit of wiggle room for error.

Yes that's true, easier said than done for a DIYer (like me). Better off asking in the woodwork section, I'll ask the mods to move it.

Sponsored Links
I thought that the first time, don't want to take that chance again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back