Laminate on 2nd floor concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

will be laying some laminate floor soon on concrete floor that is 2 storeys off the ground. would this mean that i would still have to lay a waterproofing layer?
thank you

Sponsored Links
carpet underlayment is only suitable for...... carpets!
laminate underlayment is only suitable ..... laminate!

(and have you ever seen how much dirt, dust and little buggies still remain in old carpet underlayment even after rigorous vacuum cleaning? Brrrr)

do it properly and rip out the carpet and carpet underlayment, buy laminate underlayment (without DPM, don't think you'll have rising damp that far up?)

Sponsored Links

(and have you ever seen how much dirt, dust and little buggies still remain in old carpet underlayment even after rigorous vacuum cleaning? Brrrr)

do it properly and rip out the carpet and carpet underlayment, buy laminate underlayment (without DPM, don't think you'll have rising damp that far up?)

Thanks for the reply

What is the reason that you should not use carpet underlay for laminate floors?
the carpety underlay has only been down 11 months or so .

Is it because it would have too much movement and damage the joints?
I have bought some laminate foam for £1 pm2 but am curious why you cant use carpet underlay.

For the simple reason that carpet underlayment is made of a different material that'll crumble when laminate or wood is installed on it.

Use it at your own peril

ahoy!!

I see! that is a shame cos it would have saved me about £50

Is that the only reason that you cant lay it?

Cheers
Tris

What in the words: "can't, shouldn't, don't" do you not understand?

sorry to sound grumpy, but you've asked three times and three times you got a no. Asking if that's the only reason is not going to chance the fact that carpet underlayment IS NOT SUITABLE for laminate flooring!

What in the words: "can't, shouldn't, don't" do you not understand?

sorry to sound grumpy, but you've asked three times and three times you got a no. Asking if that's the only reason is not going to chance the fact that carpet underlayment IS NOT SUITABLE for laminate flooring!

I asked if there was any other reason that you cant lay it and would have thought as you are the "Co-Author of Wooden Floor Instalation Manual" that you would have been able to justify why you say that you shouldnt do it. not just "DONT DO IT!!! IT CRUMBLES!!" - If i went through my life doing what people tell me to do then it would be ridiculous, what you are supposed to do is gather the information you need in order to make an informed decision and the use your discression from there!

If you cant ask questions on here without getting your head bit off by people like you then whats the point in asking in the first place.

Woodyoulike - if your not able to give any reason as to why you shouldnt use carpet underlay apart from the fact that it crumbles (after a day/a week/ decade/lifetime??????????) then please let someone else that is a bit better informed on the subject have a go.

By the way I have laid the floor now using 2mm polystyrene underlay but would like to know if there is more than 1 answer to my last question.

:eek:)

Thank you

carpet underlay allows to much movement and will cause fast wear to the joints on your laminate/wood floor etc. Carpet underlay is normal designed to give a softer feel to carpets and help wear, however you want the oposite on laminate/wood flooring.

This is the reason why laminate underlay is normaly very thin (1-2mm). The laminate underlay is there to stop the product hitting the floor and making noise.

You can get thicker underlays for laminate/ wood etc but these are more dense, the reason being that they allow minimum movement but noise reduction is reduced (sound deadening) that may be a issue in flats etc.

there is also the point that woodyoulike has pointed out and that is that carpet underlay (depending on its construction) will break up/powder etc. This can take a matter of months to many years to happen depending on what carpet underlay you already have.

Basically, dont use carpet underlay under wood flooring!

.. what you are supposed to do is gather the information you need in order to make an informed decision and the use your discression from there!

If you cant ask questions on here without getting your head bit off by people like you then whats the point in asking in the first place.
Asking the same question over and over and expecting a different answer is a strange way IMHO to gather information
It would be the same as having 6mm hardboard already and asking if you can use it to make load bearing floor - for which you need 18mm plywood or OSB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back