Laminate on sloping floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm considering laying laminate flooring in my spare bedroom, a room in the attic of our Victorian flat with floorboards currently exposed. The floor is relatively even but has a definite slope to it (due to historic movement I presume). Would you recommend laying laminate on this type of floor, or is the slope likely to cause problems?

My other option is to restore the existing floorboards - Ideally I would like to sand + stain / revarnish but have been told by a builder that this has been done once already and that a second sanding would remove too much material. Are there alternative ways to restore the floorboards (other than paint it of course)? Can I varnish over the existing varnish?

Any suggestions / recommendations welcome (I am a DIY "newbie" btw).

Sponsored Links
how thick are your floor boards!!
what are the joist centres!!

assuming yours are around 19mm thick and at 400mm centres you will be fine

sloping dosn't matter for your laminate relativly flat does

If it's victorian, your floorboards are likely 22mm. Even if they are only 19mm sanding them 3 or 4 times will only remove a couple of mm at worst. so it's fine to restore.

Laminate will also work on a sloping floor so long as it's flat.

Sponsored Links
Many Victorian floorboards are 1 1/8" or 28mm so there should be enough "meat" on the boards to resand, but if not, you should at least have a "flat" surface to lay laminate.
mack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back