Laminate Worktop Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is there any way to repair a chip in a laminate worktop?

I have a black laminate worktop and on the join a chip has suddenly appeared about 3mmx 2mm.

I really dont want to have to replace the worktops as they are only 2 years old.

thanks
Andrea

Sponsored Links
A tiny speck of black paint will probably hide it.

The trick with chips (also on cars) is to use a really tiny brush, and just the tip of it, and put a spot of paint into the chip without allowing it to get onto the surface of the undamaged surface around it.

You will need a strong lamp, possibly a magnifier, and to support your wrist to prevent tremor.

If you don't have anything suitable, you can buy tiny pots of hard paint in model-makers or toyshops (they're used for painting model aircraft etc) under the "Humbrol" brand (unless it's gone bust again). Mostly gloss but they do satin black. Get a gloss white as well to touch up your kitchen white goods.

The 14ml tinlet contains about 3 teaspoonsful of paint
http://www.d1yco.com/humbrol-tins.php
http://www.modernmodels.com/Humbrol2.htm

Thanks for the reply.

Its actually a little bigger than I thought maybe 5mm by 3mm and you can see the chipboard under so about 1mm deep.

So I dont think just painting will work unless I fill it first, any ideas what I could use to fill it with?

Thanks Again

Andrea

several layers of paint

and you will be surprised, if you paint it to a reasonable match, it will not catch the eye.

Sponsored Links
You could also try your nearest MFI (if there's any left), they do a jointing compound called ColorFill. It's a sealant (particularly important if the joint is anywhere near your sink) and a filler specifically for worktops.

If your worktops are high gloss you need "Diamond Black", If they're textured surface it's "Blackstone".

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know if MFI stock this or if I would have to order it first?

MFI don't stock a lot of anything but you may get lucky with a small item like this.

Alternatively, if you have a Howdens Joinery branch in your area, they will definitely stock it, only problem with that is Howdens are a "trade only" supplier. However, I would be surprised if they refused to sell you ColorFill.

You can get colourfill at B&Q and Wickes as well. The names of the colours do differ, but you should be able to work out black!

hi
the way to do it is...
firstly thin layers of superglue to build it up
(this seals it as well to stop water getting in)
flatten it level with a razor/stanley blade
paint the detail on.

hope this helps

nik, have a look at the dates of the posts you have been replying to

look on the colorfil website it has the nearest match for loads of different worktops

worktops are not a solid colour though, they dont do a speckled or marble effect filler and it will be visible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back