Laminated flooring cowboy job by builder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I hired a builder for refurb on rented property. He's laid the laminated flooring and has done a cowboy job leaving exposed areas around door frames and shortages around the skirting. I know I can use beading to hide around the skirting straights but how do i fill these exposed areas. The builder has taken my money and is not returning back.

Any suggestions on how to rectify and make it look decent for tenants will be appreciated.

TIA

Sponsored Links
If you can, post some pics to give us a better idea.
Do you have any spare laminate, or offcuts?

I hired a builder for refurb on rented property. He's laid the laminated flooring and has done a cowboy job leaving exposed areas around door frames and shortages around the skirting. I know I can use beading to hide around the skirting straights but how do i fill these exposed areas. The builder has taken my money and is not returning back.

The proper way is to remove skirtings and refit on top, plus undercut door frames - so laminate edge is hidden, but still with a gap for movement.

To avoid doing the above, you can a fibre quadrant moulding strip, which pins to the skirting, to hide the gap, but not so easy to use around door frames if at all. Problem with the fibre quadrant which is sold for the job - is that it is expensive, and the with any moisture it swells up and looks terrible. Better is a plastic quadrant strip designed for double glazing trim, which is available in brown or white and is stupid cheap, from Eurocell.

Sponsored Links
The proper way is to remove skirtings and refit on top, plus undercut door frames - so laminate edge is hidden, but still with a gap for movement.

To avoid doing the above, you can a fibre quadrant moulding strip, which pins to the skirting, to hide the gap, but not so easy to use around door frames if at all. Problem with the fibre quadrant which is sold for the job - is that it is expensive, and the with any moisture it swells up and looks terrible. Better is a plastic quadrant strip designed for double glazing trim, which is available in brown or white and is stupid cheap, from Eurocell.
Flooring colour is grey. I thought there maybe some wood filler that's what my builder said he was going to use before he fled.

Flooring colour is grey. I thought there maybe some wood filler that's what my builder said he was going to use before he fled.

You cannot use filler, laminate needs to have an expansion gap around it, to allow some movement. Filler will set solid.

Undercutting is not always possible in which case colour matched caulk can be used .

Never pay in full, until the job is completely finished and to your satisfaction.
That was the aim but this guy was a piece of work and made one excuse after another wanting money for this and that......he just had a way with words and getting money out of me. I hate builders its out of my comfort zone.

Attachments

• 20220908_083507.jpg
    20220908_083507.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 533
  • 20220908_083426.jpg
    20220908_083426.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 494
  • 20220908_083407.jpg
    20220908_083407.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 483
  • 20220908_083352.jpg
    20220908_083352.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 479
  • 20220908_083333.jpg
    20220908_083333.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 511
This is not a cowboy this is insane I will be crying I had 2mm gap under cupboard
once in customer house still can't forget how did I do this

This is not a cowboy this is insane I will be crying I had 2mm gap under cupboard
once in customer house still can't forget how did I do this
Bottom line I've been taken for a mug, he done me over good and proper and now nowhere to be seen.....just trying to find a way to rectify his crap and make it half decent for my tenants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back