laminating over carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:rolleyes: Is it ok to lay laminate underlay fibre boards over carpet first then put laminate ontop. I would have thought this would provide extra insulation, both noice and heat, along with providing the floating aspect needed for the laminate :?:

Edit; I have searched this forum but this question does not come up. However another question which did was laying carpet over laminate, this was not answered fully in the post. Anyone got the answers to both my quandries??

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
wishy said:
:rolleyes: Is it ok to lay laminate underlay fibre boards over carpet first then put laminate ontop. I would have thought this would provide extra insulation, both noice and heat, along with providing the floating aspect needed for the laminate :?:

No it's not a good idea: existing carpets are full of (hiiden) dirt and dust, plus always use the proper undrlayment with any kind of flooring. Carpet is not suitable as an underlayment for a hard floorcovering.

has anyone got an opinion about laying a floating laminate floor over Flotex?

if so, which type of flooring would be best?

Flotex is a very thin and quite firm type of carpet (less than 1/4 inch)

Sponsored Links
I went ahead and did lay the laminate over carpet, after having it deep cleaned. No problems so far, 6 months on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back