Laminating stairways

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to install laminate flooring to my staircase, and am tring to figure out how I should tackle this project. It seems that there are several tricky areas that I am unsure of, and appreciate any advice in overcoming them...these are:

1. Stair spindles: Should I wrap each spindle with 2 pieces of laminates (this means perhaps having 2" pieces at the end of each going) ? OR remove all the spindles and slot them back in through the square holes cut in the laminates? ( neater but more work) any other option?

2. What to do with the exposed edge of the laminate (for both riser and going)? what type of trim if that is the only option.

3. My bottom going is rounded at the end where the post is. Are there curved stair profiles available? if not, how should I go about installing a profile to the round going?

4. Should I soften the laminate (using hot water) to curve it into shape to fit it onto the bottom riser?

many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you plan to use Melamine Laminated flooring don't you think it will create a very slippery surface? (And pretty expansive work compared to the price of the plastic stuff?)
If on the other hand you mean Wood-Engineered flooring it's still a lot of work (and if your steps aren't all straight and rectangle, but 'curve' up, you'll have a lot of extra saw-waste).

Regards Q1 I would go for your second idea.
Q2: L-profile should do the trick, every joinery can make bespoke (thin) ones
Q3: yes there are, but pretty expansive
Q4: it's not a stip of 'solid' veneer, the water will have a disastrous effect on the backing of the planks.

very bad idea to put laminate onto stair's. Firstly it looks cr*p and on the other hand very dangerous - my friend daughter broke her nose after slipping on the laminate (wearing socks at the time) hence to say the laminate came off !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back