Lamps tripping MCB even though their off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have 2 lamps which are plugged into 2 different ring final circuits.

Both are plugged into timer switches and were switched off.

On Sunday, one of the lamps gave a big flash of light and tripped the corresponding mcb. I changed the bulb and switched the mcb back on and all was fine.

Then yesterday, the other lamp did exactly the same thing.

The timers were not on, nor were they timed to switch on when this happened on both lamps.

I find it way too coincidental for this to have happened so close to each other and wanted to ask why this could have happened?

Sponsored Links
With no power running to the lamp ,a big flash of light is highly unlikely to have emitted from a bulb ,more likely from the timer or socket

???? I'm honestly stumped..... have changed the bulbs and switched the mcbs on again and they're both working fine....

Sponsored Links
With no power running to the lamp ,a big flash of light is highly unlikely to have emitted from a bulb ,more likely from the timer or socke

I don't know, I was in the other room and saw a flash of light, i went to investigate and saw that all of the electrical appliances were off. I checked the mcb and it was off, so switched it on and everything was fine.

Then realised that the lamp hadn't come on later and changed the bulb - once changed, it also worked fine.

Then the same happened with the other lamp in the other room a day later?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back