Land Drain Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Yesterday we commissioned a well established landscaping company to install a land drain around the internal perimeter of a retaining wall. From what I have read in my research leading up to this, the trench should ideally be 750mm deep for a 100mm pipe.

The company finished the installation whilst I was at work, but when I came home, it looks as though the trench is only about 200mm deep. I queried this with the owner of the company and he said that they typically dig down to about a foot for similar installations (the area doesn't usually become waterlogged, but never dries out).

I am concerned that due to the shallow trench, the effectiveness of the drain will be reduced, but also (and more importantly), the stability of the area when the lawn is relaid - are these valid concerns?

Cheers

Tim

Sponsored Links
It depends on the function of it? Is this designed to take away surface water from weep holes etc or to reduce groundwater pressure coming from the slope?

A shallower wider drain will be more effective at collecting surface water but be useless at collecting/relieving groundwater etc.

I have dug deep 900mm trenches 6'' wide or shallow 200mm blanket type drains 2 feet wide.

Hi @r896neo,

Thank you for the reply. It is more for surface water really (I think). The lawn area is on a reasonably shallow bed of topsoil (~8") and the area where we have had the drain installed never really dries out.

Cheers

Tim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back