landing and bathroom lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am one of those people always messing with things in my home that I know nothing about and always end up calling in the experts to fix the mess I have made. So, today I decided to replace my landing and bathroom light switch with a double dimmer switch and now I can't get it to work properly. I've already blown the fuse wire a couple of times, had flashing lights etc etc. So I thought I better submit my first post on here and see if anyone can help me before I kill myself and the family with my guess work wiring. Here's a picture of the wiring. There is a red, black and green coming from the top and bottom of the opening. And there is another red wire coming from the top of the opening also. All I know is both the green wires go to the earth on the light switch. The dimmer switch on one side has C, L1 and L2 and the same again on the other side. Please, please help!

Picture031.jpg

Sponsored Links
(bathroom) In one switch, connect the top red and black to C and L1.

(landing) In the other switch connect the bottom R&B to L1 and L2.
Connect the top single red to the C of this switch.

(This is all assuming there is anotehr switch downstairs which also controls the landing light, and that the switch is compatible with this dimmer)

Firstly, there is more than one way to wire a switch. (Although what Steve says is probably right, if, as he says, you have another landing switch.)

Secondly, you're unlikely to blow a fuse just by getting the live conductors mixed up. Are you sure there is no neutral at the switch?

Thirdly, flashing lights could mean that you are trying to dim incompatible lamps/bulbs, such as low energy ones?

Also, it looks like you are installing metal plate fittings?

Please note that the plate must be earthed!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the help. Do I earth the wall mounting box or the dimmer switch itself? There are 2 green wires, one coming from the top and one from the bottom, although the one at the bottom cannot be clearly seen in the picture, Thanks

both...

you put the earths to the backbox and run a small lenght of wire from the backbox to the plate..

you're going to need a lot deeper box hole too... that looks like it was for a 16mm switchbox.. just plaster depth?

you'll need at least a 25mm box, and I'd personally go for a 35 with a dimmer..

Thanks everyone. Got it as per the instructions on this thread. And you are right, it requires a 35mm back box

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back