Landing light stays on!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I've just noticed this. We have lived here for over 4years now so confused as to why this would happen. A bulb is missing.

Off

On

Sponsored Links
Do we assume that one photo is with the switch off, and the other with the switch on??? Please explain………..

What type of lamps are in the fitting.

Yes one pic is with the switch off and the other the switch on. It's a landing light so one switch downstairs and one upstairs.

Screw in bulbs possibly halogen (ikea) will have to check tomorrow as kids in bed.

I bet it only glows dimly when other lights upstairs are on. It is operating in series with the other lights when off due to two backs being confused (a sw live and neutral muddled).

Sponsored Links
are they LED's fitted ?

You say the 3rd shade doesn't have a lamp? Maybe this gets stuck on too, or causes worst problems when fitted! hence removed!

The bulb had gone in the 3rd lamp that's all. They are led bulbs.
If you unscrew one it makes the other brighter?

I've just changed the fitting and it's fine now. But they must have been getting power from somewhere??

I had this problem with LED bulbs once when water got into a switch. LED bulbs need very little current to light them slightly. The incandescent bulb would not be lit by this very small current.

Not that I'm any electrical expert mind!

It's more than likely caused by capacitive coupling from a live wire or a neon light switch surround!

Didn't realise they were LED. Still quite a strong glow for capacitive coupling though.

If you refit the old light, and place a NORMAL lamp in one of the holders, do the other two LED ones then extinquish?

Capacitive coupling can make an LED lamp glow quite bright in total darkness. It occurs when the normal method of using twin and earth for switch drops is used. I cured mine by using single insulated and sheathed cables.

One could quite easily sleeve one lead brown and one blue, if you had a mind to. A little care will make sure that there's no exposed metal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back