Landing Light wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just need a quick check off you if possible please. :)

Doing the final checking of the existing wiring before the LABC come round and I discovered that the landing light set-up in my house doesn't seem to conform to any of the diagrams I can find.

The upstairs and downstairs switches are wired as per the 2-way diagram ( albeit with no red sleeving over the switched lives ) but the upstairs and downstairs lights are fed in parallel off the upstairs ceiling rose and hence, the same mcb on the existing CU

Is this OK or should the wiring be changed to the two lamps controlled by two way switches diagram in the reference section ?

Thanks as always.

FORGOT TO ADD>>>>>>I will be adding an intermediate switch for this lighting circuit once I've got the go-ahead from the council, will this make the wiring any different ?

Sponsored Links
If they are operating off the same switch and is using the correct neutral then it is fine, just make sure you label it up well at the consumer unit to avoid confusion.
It depends how it is wired now as to how the wiring will differ to an intermendiate switch.

Thanks Spark, I just want to be in the position to show the inspector that I'm aware of and on top of any problems that he spots when he comes to do the initial test and inspection. :cool:

As long as the parallel lamp arrangement is OK, the intermediate switch will be easy to figure out as it will be in the middle of the existing three core and earth run, there's even going to be enough slack for me not to have to run another length of cable - how lucky is that :eek:

Cheers Lads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back