Landlord electric test C1 situations???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ,was Gas Safe registered so am au fait with LL gas checks.
Electric check on my buy to let and I get tons of C1 markers which I would equate to Immediately Dangerous on gas checks(such as open end gas pipe etc)
Why is number 12 (cables under 50mm in walls) on the list categorised as C1 and immediate remedial action is required??Surely this is pretty much 90 per cent of houses?
Any advise on this is greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Attachments

• LL electric.pdf
    63.3 KB · Views: 217
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply,I did think that it didn't make sense....but I need expert (thanks EFL)views before I go back to "discuss" it with him

Have you paid him? If not, don't pay him a penny. That report is absolutely ridiculous no testing at all appears to have been carried out as the circuit sheet is blank and there's no way all of those items can be a C1. Out of interest could you post a pic of your consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
Can you give me a run down of the incorrect interpretations on the report,I think that lots of them are similar to what was "not to current standards" on LL gas certs,but are classified incorrectly.
Cheers Lidds

I haven't got time to go through each item (someone will) but for a start:

Nothing wrong with the fuse box, per se, but as a landlord you might want to replace it to show you have done all you could.
No RCDs is, in general, C3 - improvement recommended - but as a landlord you might want to replace the CU so that it contains RCDs.

He can't just say everything is in a dangerous condition without stating why and how although most of them appear to relate to there being no RCDs - but it doesn't say that.

No. 3 is fair enough.

Thanks for the quick reply,I did think that it didn't make sense....but I need expert (thanks EFL)views before I go back to "discuss" it with him
There's almost nothing to 'discuss', since the whole thing is totally ridiculous.

The real irony is that, amidst all those crazy C1 codes, one of the few things which might genuinely deserve a C1 ("smashed socket needs replacing") has been given a C2 !!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks Jon C ,I will ask my tenant to send a pic,but she is at work atm.I have another LL elec cert too that I can post from same spark(?).

The other report done by same spark.BTW ta again for replies ))

Attachments

• LL electric cert 2.pdf
    60.1 KB · Views: 163
Nothing wrong with the fuse box, per se, but as a landlord you might want to replace it to show you have done all you could.
No RCDs is, in general, C3 - improvement recommended - but as a landlord you might want to replace the CU so that it contains RCDs.
The electrical safety council guidance considers lack of RCD protection for sockets reasonablly expected to supply equipment outside the equipotential zone to be a C2, so if you follow their guidance then in a normal domestic house lack of any RCD protection at all would be a C2.

This really annoys me, and just goes to show what a pathetic state the electrical industry is in.
Agreed - but, to be fair, this is a very extreme case. I know that, amidst all the good ones, there are also a good few less-than-perfect electricians (and 'electricians') around, but this one must be in line for some sort of 'record'!

Kind Regards, John

The electrical safety council guidance considers lack of RCD protection for sockets reasonablly expected to supply equipment outside the equipotential zone to be a C2, so if you follow their guidance then in a normal domestic house lack of any RCD protection at all would be a C2.
Indeed - and, as I've observed before, this appears to be the one and only situation in which BS7671 itself gives any guidance on the coding of EICRs, when it says that absence of required RCD protection should be given "at least a C3".

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back