Landlords Responsibilities and meter change by supplier.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First question. Does a landlord have to have at least a PIR done when there is a change of tenants? Or is it just a recommendation?

Secondly, when a supplier has to change a meter because of a fault on the existing one do they check/test the fixed wiring in any way apart from ensuring it is safe to reconnect the supply?

I have another question or two to follow but would like to get these answered first.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
First)
There is no statutory obligation on landlords or agents to have professional checks carried out on the electrical system or appliances. However, under Common Law and various statutory regulations: The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, The Housing Act 2004, The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, and the Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994, both of which come under the Consumer Protection Act 1987, there is an obligation to ensure that all electrical equipment is safe.
Taken from landlordzone
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/electrical_safety.htm
Second)
There wil not be concerned about any fixed wiring beyond the meter

Having seen some of the rotten rusty metalclad mainswitches, double pole fusing in wooden boxes, rubber or lead sheathed cables, supplied from shiny new digital meters, meter changers seem willing to connect just about anything to a new meter.

Thanks lads. Next question.
When my daughter moved into this rented property the electric storage heaters were not working. The letting agency eventually sent an electrician out who said the meter was faulty but he could get the heaters working by using a short length of 'wire'. Daughter said no, she would get supplier, (British Gas), to come out. They found the meter was faulty and changed it, the heaters started to work. Now that she is terminating her tenancy the letting agency are witholding her deposit until she pays a bill based on the following statement;

Quote:
We are aware that you reported a fault with the electric storage heaters to the property, upon the contractor attending it was noted the electricity supplier you had changed to had not connected the storage heaters up correctly, therefore the bill for this is your responsibility:- £xx.xx
End Quote:

Their contractor came out before the meter was changed and my daughter is convinced BG did not do anything to the heaters.
Would you agree that;

A/ because they do not touch anything from the meter onwards they cannot claim this money as it was the meter at fault?
(Personally I don't think BG have submitted a bill to the landlord as it was my daughter who called them out and she has never received a bill for anything).
B/ as the heaters are part of the structure of the house the landlord is responsible for their maintenance and safety.[/b]

Sponsored Links
Changing supplier would not require any visit to the property, so their claim that the change of supplier somehow resulted in the heaters not working is rubbish.

If the tariff was changed (e.g. standard to E7) that may have required that a different meter was fitted, but even if it did, the connection of it would not be the tenants responsibility either.

Seems to me the charge is for the electrician to visit who did not correct the problem, well he possibly could have by an illicit means!

do they check/test the fixed wiring in any way apart from ensuring it is safe to reconnect the supply?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

They don't even do that

fetch.php

Seems to me the charge is for the electrician to visit who did not correct the problem, well he possibly could have by an illicit means!

I agree, if he got called out for fault finding then he did just that. Fault finding is a chargable service and my policy is if any tools come out then I start charging.

Who is liable for the bill is a matter for debate and I don't think we have enough info.

Conny if your daughter moved in to the property that had already been fitted with heaters, and they were not working.

It is up to the landlord to repair them not your daughter.
The landlord is responsible
for keeping in repair and proper working order the installation in the dwelling for space heating and heating water.
The bond should be with an assured bond scheme, if your daughter takes this issue up with them, I am sure there will be no problem with a full return of bond.

Conny if your daughter moved in to the property that had already been fitted with heaters, and they were not working.

It is up to the landlord to repair them not your daughter.
The landlord is responsible
for keeping in repair and proper working order the installation in the dwelling for space heating and heating water.
The bond should be with an assured bond scheme, if your daughter takes this issue up with them, I am sure there will be no problem with a full return of bond.

The heaters were already installed and for the first night they charged up and emitted heat the following day, with the exception of one which they thought they hadn't turned on the night before. That night they switched them on again and the following day only 2 of the 6 gave out any heat. Thinking they may have not set them correctly that night they double checked how they were set, the following day none of them gave out heat. They informed the landlord at 1.00pm and an electrician turned up at 7.00pm After doing some testing/checking he wired a strap from the service head, (don't ask me how, this is just what the daughter explained to me before, though she called it, "That thing there with the 2 wires coming out"), to the incoming isolator of the consumer unit. All the heaters began to warm up. As he couldn't leave it that way, (by-passing the meter), he deduced the meter was faulty and to contact her supplier who happened to be British Gas. They turned up at 10.00pm and simply replaced the meter after a quick test. The following morning all heaters were working properly. Agreed, the electrician found the fault and should be paid and the landlord is responsible for the electrician as it was their meter. The landlord called the electrician out, not my daughter, she called BG out and they have not billed her for it.
The deposit is held by some 'Landlords Bond scheme' not by the actual landlord. Do both parties have to agree before they release the bond money to either one of them?

The deposit is held by some 'Landlords Bond scheme' not by the actual landlord. Do both parties have to agree before they release the bond money to either one of them?

That is correct, both parties have to agree, although, even it were agreed that your daughter should pay (I'm not saying she should) she will still receive the balance. I expect the deposit is larger than the cost of one visit by the electrician.

However, soon after she moved in she should have received conformation from the Deposit Protection Agency (that is the body I know, I don't know if there are others) stating that the money had been forwarded to them.
Did your daughter receive such confirmation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back