Landscape bark - bulk vs B&Q.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm in need of a load of bark. I checked ebay and for 1m3 it's around £220 delivered. B&Q are doing 3x100L bags for £30.

If a bulk bag is 1m3 or 1000L, why would B&Q be cheaper?

Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Surely the cost of home delivery (on a pallet) is a big part of the cost?

The last time I bought bark it was I think about £25 per m3, now it's closer to £40?
But that is ex works!!

Also just be careful, not all bulk bags are 1m3.

The standard builders merchants bags are more like 0.7 - 0.8 m3

Surely the cost of home delivery (on a pallet) is a big part of the cost?

The last time I bought bark it was I think about £25 per m3, now it's closer to £40?
But that is ex works!!
Pretty sure there's a good portion in there for delivery....

£40 a cube... Yikes. That's plenty cheap.

Sponsored Links
Also just be careful, not all bulk bags are 1m3.

The standard builders merchants bags are more like 0.7 - 0.8 m3
Good point. A lot mention "bulk bag" and many specifically say a cube so worth checking for

Factor in the delivery cost.

Personally, I hate bark chippings. Did my flower beds about 4 years ago, (put down weed control first), but when we got a high wind it would blow everywhere. Made the garden a right mess.
Two years ago I dug/scraped most of it up and went for 20mm Cotswold stones chippings. Looks much better and doesn't blow around when it's windy. Just spent some time giving them a top dressing over yhe past couple of days. Garden is now beginning to look loved again, (as my wife says), after winter.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    605.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    670.4 KB · Views: 48
Factor in the delivery cost.

Personally, I hate bark chippings. Did my flower beds about 4 years ago, (put down weed control first), but when we got a high wind it would blow everywhere. Made the garden a right mess.
Two years ago I dug/scraped most of it up and went for 20mm Cotswold stones chippings. Looks much better and doesn't blow around when it's windy. Just spent some time giving them a top dressing over yhe past couple of days. Garden is now beginning to look loved again, (as my wife says), after winter.
I tried bark chips around the base of the cherry tree when i planted it but it didn't last long: the birds used it for nesting and squirrel shoved it out the way to dig for nuts; never remembers where he buried 'em. He has the memory of a fizzin' goldfish.
You sure do like your garden ornaments.

I tried bark chips around the base of the cherry tree when i planted it but it didn't last long: the birds used it for nesting and squirrel shoved it out the way to dig for nuts; never remembers where he buried 'em. He has the memory of a fizzin' goldfish.
You sure do like your garden ornaments.
There were so many different plants and bushes crammed into it before, plus a lot of ground cover everywhere, that we decided on a clear out. Now we can plant things we like, (and know), and space them out properly. Just take it bit by bit so we get it right. The previous owners must have bought a job lot of stuff and just clumped it anywhere.

If you are not fussy about the chippings? why not see if your local tree surgeon will drop you a load off, they are always wanting rid of it, yes there is minced up conifer in it, but once it beds down, it's great. They will probably drop you a load for free.

The thing is with local tree surgeon stuff is there really is no control with it so really have no idea what you're gonna get and being free once it's on your driveway in a heap it's your problem. Some tree surgeons are more conscientious than others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back