Lanlord contract gone pearshaped.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my husband is a handyman and has been fleeced by a rogue landlord.
The contract scope keeps growing.....he signed what was though to be a deposit receipt for the client but turns out to be a second contract. Any suggestions on how to deal with him constructively. He hasnt been paid for the job.....and we just spend the whole month working for him. Generally our landlord contracts are very good....but boy have we come a cropper. We are seeking legal advise.

Recommend any good debt recovery agencies? Fees to be paid in advance?

The Angry Wife (nothing like a woman scorned)

Removed link

Sponsored Links
ooer dodgy he shouldn't just sign things without reading them, you will be extremely lucky to win this, i'd seek advice but as for persuing the claim you may have to look upon this as a lesson, best give this landlord a wide berth in future once you have fulfilled the contract terms. It seems he needs you more than you need him and he may come begging for you to come back whereupon the bargaining power may fall into your lap.

Sorry to be a pain but I think you are not allowed to advertise here in your link ..if it is one ?

A good lawyer (your own !) or C.a.b office will sort out how you stand Im sure ;)

regarding debt recovery if you are from an estate or live near one you can usually find a "family" who are credit brokers /debt recovery

"lucky black cat debt collectors agency" is it moz? ;)
they usually have a good follow up service, catered for by the police!

Sponsored Links
kendor
hahahahaha ...

yeppers

have you tried through the court agengies ..lol ask freddie or who ever was writing on how the WHITER debt recovery are useless ...
btw as they are regd debt collectors , NO doors are left on hinges at 4 in the morning an monies are recovered as dibble has to stand by as the tear the place apart ..hidden money (if what fishy is soon found ,lol)is soon found .lol..lol.

I gather the Krays ran an efficient debt collecting agency?

Who said that most of the customers were not in debt? :LOL:

Sorry about the link.

Already called FairTrades. Legal guy says the law will look at it from when the last contract was signed.

The amusing thing is they were both signed the same day.

He asked me to fax all the contracts, quotes & invoices relating to it.
So fingers crossed.

were the Krays a regd debt recovery agent ... errrrrmmmm NO ..lol

if you are owed money
an they refuse to pay
do you forget it
an let them take you as a mug ..
or do you get a some court bloke knocking an being chased away /or ignored an your charged for every visit,top council wages...(£200 a day times how ever many times he tries ..)

or you get the local estate credit brokers/ REGD debt recovery agent in ... an unleasch hell as the police assist your men ..lol

or £500 or goods recieved on collection ,the police are shown this contract as such, as they pillage the house

TheWife said:
Sorry about the link.

Already called FairTrades. Legal guy says the law will look at it from when the last contract was signed.

The amusing thing is they were both signed the same day.

He asked me to fax all the contracts, quotes & invoices relating to it.
So fingers crossed.
fingers crossed for you but as you mention above they will be looking at it from the last signed contract, are they timed as well as dated?

There are 2 signatories required on ours....Mine, which was presigned and dated that day, my husband dropped it round for him to sign it....whilst he was there he asked my husband to sign his, which he did and the landlord signed it too. So technically his would be the latter, but it is not time stamped.

TheWife said:
There are 2 signatories required on ours....Mine, which was presigned and dated that day, my husband dropped it round for him to sign it....whilst he was there he asked my husband to sign his, which he did and the landlord signed it too. So technically his would be the latter, but it is not time stamped.
so they are both dated the same day? if so it's going to boil down to which is the latter in court so you may still be in with a chance, though it may also be pretty obvious which came latter if the latter one contains all what was in the first plus the additions.

I not happy at all as the landlord has tampered with nearly every piece of work my husband has done.

He asked us to add copper pipe onto lead pipe in bathroom and reroute.
I told him he should get it removed. We would not add copper to it.

He serviced the gas boiler whilst my husband was onsite, he said he smelt gas...and the landlord said yes I change the wrong connection. He has been doing work on the electrics (bearing in mind a light has it cable running up the wall surface across the ceiling and held in place by a hook). I advised him that we felt his electrics were not safe and he was messing with the meter cables in the kitchen. I advised him not to tamper with electrics or gas appliances whilst my husband or any representative of ours was on site.

Went there today to get final pics of the work. The bathroom suite my husband put in....

The sealant seal on the bath has been broken, as he has been in last night & took off the panel, didnt even bother to close the panel again.

He's drained the toilet cistern to fit an overflow himself.

Theres more.... On one of days we come in to see gap fill on a carpet.... not sure at first where it came from until we looked up....he tried to fill a hole in a lathe & plaster ceiling with it.

He then managed to get gapfill over the plastering put black hand prints on the paint work and scrape of some emulsion of the wall.

so its looking interesting so far...there's more but thats enough to get my blood boiling.

geez sounds like you are in a right mess with this person, it's going to be a messy case by all counts if persued with one word against the other, just hope you have some previous customers who can vouch for your husbands good work and give him a character reference.

Yes....have 5 other longterm landlord/residential contracts. 1 pretigious client, and a whole bunch of domestic clients.

I believ I have a duty of care to notify the HSE...as I very concerned and feel that the GAS / ELECTRICS should be inspected. May be wish to save as my last hand.

God, it can be such a cut throat business.

He really gives landlords a bad name. And I think it wont stop there......the same thing is going to happen to someone else too.

Other interesting factor is we were subsequently asked to do other work which we quoted and invoiced....he didnt draw up his own contract for those....however, he hasnt paid for them either.... :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back