What do I do with a bad builder?

The main problem with helping folk sort out a bad experience during a project . . . Is the fact that their own greed/stupidity got them into that mess in the first place.

You dive in, sort out the mess, usually getting precious little in the way of thanks, then they go off on their merry way & repeat the whole process all over again.

Bad builders only exist because greedy/stupid clients exist also. After we horribly murder all the bad builders, should we not solve the problem for eternity & horribly murder all the greedy & stupid customers?

Sponsored Links
The main problem with helping folk sort out a bad experience during a project . . . Is the fact that their own greed/stupidity got them into that mess in the first place.

You dive in, sort out the mess, usually getting precious little in the way of thanks, then they go off on their merry way & repeat the whole process all over again.

Bad builders only exist because greedy/stupid clients exist also. After we horribly murder all the bad builders, should we not solve the problem for eternity & horribly murder all the greedy & stupid customers?

What's an example of a greedy stupid customers?

I can give you many examples of the builders who do what they want, not what you wanted, who do what they want, not what's on the drawings, who cut corners hoping you won't notice. These are the dirty insolent rodents bringing the whole trade into disrepute and causing the customers to kick up a stink.

What's an example of a greedy stupid customers?

I can give you many examples of the builders who do what they want, not what you wanted, who do what they want, not what's on the drawings, who cut corners hoping you won't notice. These are the dirty insolent rodents bringing the whole trade into disrepute and causing the customers to kick up a stink.

Yes.

These are the very same builders employed by stupid & greedy customers.

Yes.

These are the very same builders employed by stupid & greedy customers.

No.

Give me an example, what's your definition of a greedy and stupid customer?

If you've selected a builder from say the FMB website, given the vetting which is supposed to be done and you don't know anyone else who has had any work done to get a recommendation, how can it be the customers fault if the builder turns out to be crap?

Sponsored Links
No.

Give me an example, what's your definition of a greedy and stupid customer?

If you've selected a builder from say the FMB website, given the vetting which is supposed to be done and you don't know anyone else who has had any work done to get a recommendation, how can it be the customers fault if the builder turns out to be crap?

Ho Hum. A live one.

Lets take your first mistake as an example, the FMB website.

How £much, exactly, would I have to invest to get a mention on it?

Then ask yourself why would I bother if I'm fully booked out for the next 3mths, pencilled in for 9mths, the phone rings everyday, & I'm having to combine work with pleasure & meeting next months clients in the pub?

Does a 'good' builder have a need to pay for a listing on the FMB website?

Ho Hum. A live one.

Lets take your first mistake as an example, the FMB website.

How £much, exactly, would I have to invest to get a mention on it?

Then ask yourself why would I bother if I'm fully booked out for the next 3mths, pencilled in for 9mths, the phone rings everyday, & I'm having to combine work with pleasure & meeting next months clients in the pub?

Does a 'good' builder have a need to pay for a listing on the FMB website?

Ho hum, yes you've got a live one. You said it, I'm questioning you on it, you're avoiding answering. Every time I ask you the same question, you avoid it.

I've already established the the FMB isn't worth the paper it's written on.

I ask again, how is a customer greedy or stupid if they do not get what they've paid for?

Ho hum, yes you've got a live one. You said it, I'm questioning you on it, you're avoiding answering. Every time I ask you the same question, you avoid it.

I've already established the the FMB isn't worth the paper it's written on.

I ask again, how is a customer greedy or stupid if they do not get what they've paid for?

I really don't know what to say . . .

How about . . . No, that wouldn't fit your agenda.

Maybe . . . No, I think that one would be totally lost on you.

Perhaps . . . "Consider this scenario" . . . Nope, too easy to twist in your imagination.

Here's one . . . Customer does absolutely nothing wrong except choose the cheapest quote from a builder they know absolutely nothing about, except they seem to be a nice & pleasant type with the added bonus that they're the cheapest by a long way.

I really don't know what to say . . .

How about . . . No, that wouldn't fit your agenda.

Maybe . . . No, I think that one would be totally lost on you.

Perhaps . . . "Consider this scenario" . . . Nope, too easy to twist in your imagination.

Here's one . . . Customer does absolutely nothing wrong except choose the cheapest quote from a builder they know absolutely nothing about, except they seem to be a nice & pleasant type with the added bonus that they're the cheapest by a long way.

Who said all who have had a bad experience have chosen the cheapest builder?

You're really unable to answer the question.

So, you clearly don't advertise, don't enter yourself in any vetted trade association lists and I don't know you or anyone who has had work done by you

How do I find you, o wondrous one, to do a perfect job for me, on time and on budget?

So, you clearly don't advertise, don't enter yourself in any vetted trade association lists and I don't know you or anyone who has had work done by you

How do I find you, o wondrous one, to do a perfect job for me, on time and on budget?

Its amazing that word of mouth for quality workmanship and costs can bring in a lot of work for Tradespeople without too much advertising.

Its amazing that word of mouth for quality workmanship and costs can bring in a lot of work for Tradespeople without too much advertising.

That's not an answer to the question though, is it?

it's ok to work on an oral contract as long as the money flowing is less than the value of the work done. you have to be able to ditch them if you need and have enough left to finish the job.

your best bet is to get him to finish as much as you can until he refuses until more money flows. then decide if the relationship has come to an end or not.

if you "confiscate" his tools you'll be committing a criminal offence.

The builder I use is superb - he hasn't advertised for 20 years. I very fortunately found him through word of mouth, by mentioning that I was having an extension done and someone saying oh call this guy. I have recommended him to others. He also gets work from other trades people (such as roofers, kitchen fitters, strcutural engineers etc) as they like working with him.

We have a relationship that works both ways - and most importantly we talked to each other. I am about to embark on our next project - he is lined up for the build and I regularly keep him informed of our progress so that he knows when our job will become live and he can plan for it.

Most importantly I ensured that when he asked for money I paid him within a couple of days. He never asked for anthing more than he was due.

Sorry this doesn't help the OP.

Sponsored Links
Back