Did I find cowboy builder. Advice help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I am new to this forum so go easy on me pls.
As per title I think I have problem with builder. Details:

We bought our first ever property. It is older 50s build semi and needed updating, restoration.
So we found plumber who changed heating system, electrician who is doing rewiring of all house. I have no problems with them at all. They are doing what we agree d on and keep everything on time. My problem is with builder.
In extension we doing kitchen. It had 2 roofs, one flat and another pitched. Don't ask me why but that's how it is. We have decided to loose flat and keep pitched and have I think what it's called vended ceiling. And then as it is only single wall extension insulate walls, level floor, plastering and fit in kitchen. So we hired builder. Price for job agreed on £4600.
They came on and started removing flat roof, insulated it, plasterboard it and plaster it.
That was done in first week. Then on Friday boss asked for deposit for materials of 2400, we seen they are doing good job so we paid him-cash. Since them no one came to do any work. Every time we text him he does reply that he he is not around much as he is not well and has hospital appointments. Yesterday he texted that someone will come today afternoon. They came but only to collect tools. That's when bell start ringing in me and starting to look for advice what todo next. Text him straight away asked to call me and he replied that he will call me tonight or tomorrow morning with schedule.
Did I get myself a cowboy builder/company?
All kitchen supposed to be finish yesterday.
If he is cowboy what can I do? Can I take him to small claim? I am really thinking to do so but I don't know if I have enough evidence. No paper work only communication on sms, asking for deposit, eye witness of electrician who spoke with him on site about electrics and some conversation logs from Facebook.
And roof is actually leaking now since they removed flat roof, but we don't why or where from as no one has been around to do any work since that first week.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
No contracts signed, we do have quote on email from him.

jeez - how many times do we hear that......why did you not get a contract in place?!?

Sponsored Links
Most people are wise after the fact, not before it. Be nice to him Wabit, he's in a bit of pain right now.

Have you got an adress for him Balion, and do you have legal cover on your home insurance. If yes for the first, and no for the second, then find your local CAB, and get them to draft you a letter. Have a talk with your local (but often useless) trading standards office, and report them to the police for fraud, and then do a few background checks of them on the internet, and social media. Did you take the £2400 out in one amount from the bank.

Most people are wise after the fact, not before it. Be nice to him Wabit, he's in a bit of pain right now.

Very true but you do have to question why the hell people are conducting such important dealings via facebook

Hi guys,
I am new to this forum so go easy on me pls.

We bought our first ever property. It is older 50s build semi and needed updating, restoration.
So we found plumber who changed heating system, electrician who is doing rewiring of all house. I have no problems with them at all. They are doing what we agree d on and keep everything on time. My problem is with builder.
Did the plumber or electrician know the builder ? Most do and can recommend one. The eMail quote might have some weight, is it as good as a printed one ?:unsure:

Back