Need a quote of alteration works charged by builder

Sounds like he was trying to pull a fast one himself tbh.

If there was nothing in writing and the original quote only specified certain works , and was then asked to do additional work

Then he can charge what he likes, his prices

The customer had the choice to go elsewhere to get a different price for additional works after the agreed works were carried out.

Sponsored Links
Meant the OP. He thought they were nice to accept all the extra work he was giving them, so maybe got a bit more 'creative' than he would've done if he'd known he was paying.

TBH I don't think you are being ripped off.

I think that you tried to get a better deal from the builder by doing the
""Oh can you just do this as well while you are doing this"" while the works were getting carried out.

Most customers try it on and You've probably just pushed your luck one time to many for him And rather than just agreeing to do it free has charged you for everything extra...

Thanks for all your replies.

Have some updates here.

The builder now says the extra money they were asking for are one day offer and since we didn't pay it, it is not valid any more.

He says the current work status has used all my original quoted money plus extra payment and he will give us another quote for finishing the remaining works.

He says there have been lots of alteration works so far which used all the money but haven't itemized them.

We've got some advice from citizen advise bureau.
Since their original contract only gave 7 days cooling period and it should be 14 days, we are allowed to cancel the contract now and ask for compensation for the work hasn't been done. We will write a formal letter to them.

is this going to be a long process to get compensated?

Sponsored Links
So by your posts at the start of the thread
you've had the work done. Satisfactorily to his Quote.

You are now stating that he has overcharged you for the additional works or rather the Price was more than you were expecting.

You have came on here hoping to be told that the builder should have been hung drawn and Quartered for charging you for the extra works. And as this has net happened you have now gone to Citizens advice and are going to refuse payment on the grounds that he didn't give you 14 days cooling off period but he only gave you 7 days.

Is that about Right ..

So now that you've had the work done you now want the builder to pay for it as well

Are you prepared for a judge to ask similar questions to those below

1. So When did you tell the builder he could start the work .
2. Do you think the builder should have carried out the additional works for free.
3. Where have you got your costing for the additional work from to lead you to the conclusion that the builder has taken advantage.
4. How many quotes did you get for the works and what about this quote was it that made you decide to use the this builder. etc. etc.

Good luck but I personally don't think you have got a leg to stand on and If I was the builder I would be taking [byou ][/b]to court for non payment. And If I won that and You still didn't pay I would then take it to the high court for action to get my money back including Interest

So by your posts at the start of the thread
you've had the work done. Satisfactorily to his Quote.
Only part of the additional work has been done. The work agreed in the original contract hasn't been done neither but the payment is made in full plus 2 more payments on top of this. I made the mistake 3 times that make the payment in advance.

You have came on here hoping to be told that the builder should have been hung drawn and Quartered for charging you for the extra works
I come here to try to get a quote for the additional work so I could argue with the builder. We were a little panic and want to get help as much as possible.
If every people say 4500 pounds for the 3 works is reasonable then I think I will accept this since this is market price.

And as this has net happened you have now gone to Citizens advice and are going to refuse payment
They want more payment for the agreed work which hasn't been done yet.
They can't itemized the additional work they've carried out which they claimed used all the money I have paid.

So now that you've had the work done you now want the builder to pay for it as well
The agreed work is not done. If they could give a list of cost for all additional work which indeed used all the payment, then we could negotiate from that.

1. So When did you tell the builder he could start the work .
The date we agreed in the contract.

2. Do you think the builder should have carried out the additional works for free.
Yes, because they never say how much this will cost before any additional work. Actually, for some work we requested, they said this will cost lots of extra money so we didn't do it.
This makes us think they will tell us if the work will cost extra beforehand.

Where have you got your costing for the additional work from to lead you to the conclusion that the builder has taken advantage.
Online research, asking neighbours, asking some builders to come over to give some quotation.
I posted this on forum just to get more suggestions. I'm thinking he is taking advantage based on some other factors as well. I probably will list these when going for the court.

Good luck but I personally don't think you have got a leg to stand on and If I was the builder I would be taking [byou ][/b]to court for non payment.
Even the builder has said all my payment has covered all the work he has done. We are just not convinced on this and try to get proved for what he is claiming.

We didn't want to go to legal action. We tried to get quotes to negotiate. They know we need to move in this week and delay the reply to our calls, emails. Now we will have no kitchen to use, un-tiled roof when we move in.

squallrj";p="3301960 said:

Yes, because they never say how much this will cost before any additional work.

Dont think you will get far in a Court of Law by saying that !!!

Actually you can.
If the builder has receipts of materials etc that were provided
then he will at the least get paid for that
The labour can be a different kettle of fish though..

Sorry but for me the whole story just doesn't ring true
I just get the impression that the OP has came on here to try and find away of not paying the builder. Simply because he appears to be charging her/him for more than they bargained on

The builder didn't want to show the receipt to us.'he said he bought materials by trade and don't have single receipt.

I never make a judgement or try to escape anything. We don't know the market price.
In my first post, I just ask for a roughly quote for the work. I know every work is different but based on the size, it should have a range.

We've got some quotes from other method, so we now know where is our position.

Why would the builder show you his receipts

I don't actually know of any that would.

Did materials turn up to complete the works when it was supposed to ???
Did people turn up to carry out the works when they were supposed to????

How many Quotes did you get before starting the works ????
What was the price range that you were quoted before starting the works???
What made you decide to choose this builder????

Can you post up some Photos of the before and after stages of the works ( Bet the builder can).

What is the difference in price of the Range of Quotes that you have now got after the works are started and you are arguing over the extras.
I notice that you have not once complained about the standard of work or works dragging , or materials and tradesman not turning up when they should...

This is what I think is happening

You have agreed a start date with the builder in the contract.
The builder turned up as agreed on the Contract
And has carried out the works as per his contract

Now because he has gave you an additional bill/invoice that is more than you were expecting for additional works that you requested but were not written down in his contract you have already decided that its to much and he is not getting paid.

Meanwhile the builder realising that you have either no money to pay or are refusing to pay has stopped work and left the works unfinished.

You have now had some really cheap Quotes from Some other builders that are probably of the Cowboy kind to give you an unrealistic price so that you can now try and get the original builder to finish off the works without having to pay him anywhere near what the extra works are valued at

Does that sound about right ????
[/b]

Sponsored Links
Back