LAP Voltage Tester RCD Test function

If they are wired per your diagrams then, yes, that is a potential issue - but are they usually wired like that? On the face of it, unless I'm missing something, the potential problem could be removed by connecting the resistor to the 'other side' of the "L switch" of the disconnector, couldn't it?

In passing, you don't seem to have responded to my comment/question about the 'wiring' of RCD test buttons.

A problem which I think is unavoidable (regardless of 'wiring') arises if the RCD fails to 'trip' as a result of pressing then test button. In that situation current will continue to flow through the resistor for as long as the test button remains pressed.

Yes it will thus continuing a source of energy into the trip mechanism

RCD resistor on Live IN side.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Sponsored Links
Yes it will thus continuing a source of energy into the trip mechanism
upload_2022-3-30_19-29-21.png
I agree that, in your first diagram "Neutral out becomes Live via resistor while test button is pressed", but you were talking about current continuing to flow through the resistor whilst the test button was pressed, thereby over-heating it - but I can't see why any such current should flow in the situation you have illustrated. What am I missing?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back