Laptop cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, wife just calls me and says laptop hasn't got enough power to run without being plugged in but when she plugs it in it cuts out,turns on and then off again. The top of th cable is a bit exposed and insulation fraying from wear and tear. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
If the damaged cable is between the plug and the transformer then stop using it immediately!

If the damaged cable is between the transformer and the laptop (which I suspect from your symptoms) its possible it is shorting out the laptop battery (and has probably already fried the power supply) you have two choices:

a) Buy a new power supply

b) Hope the power supply is still OK, cut, strip and join the cables - solder and heatshrink would be perfect.

I'd go for a)

me sir me me me

I know this one, bet someone types it before ican with baby on my lap

The little copper tubes that run to the processor cooling fan are blocked up with dust. It happened to me, I googled it and cleaned the tubes with a vacuum. Still did the same so i gave it to a mate who owns a pc repair shop, he handed it back the following day with a little bag of dust.

The next time I tried the repair on afriends computer I found the best way to clear it wasto

Sponsored Links
Cable of course needs repair. But my laptop also failed in that once the battery was flat the charger would not recharge without overheating and failing. I bought new charger (Maplin) and no more problems.

Back