Laptop not charging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PLEASE HELP!!

Hi, I have an ADVENT 5612 Laptop only just 18MTHS old, but it now won't charge.
I bought a new charger for it as it appeared that mine had burned out, but that still hasn't worked.
I have tried removing the battery and charging it like that but again no joy.
Has anyone got any ideas what it could be and whether it will actually be worth repairing it??
Don't know if this matters, but it used to get really hot when it was working!
Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Janethepain

Sponsored Links
From what I can gather, you have removed the battery and tried to use it on mains ?? If this didnt work then it may not be the battery ?? When you do this, do you get any light's at all on the laptop ? If not again it could point to a more serious problem with the laptop I am affraid !

Now do you know any one with a multimeter that could possible check to see if 1) the battery has any power in it (most likely not) or 2) see what power the new charger is putting out. Could be that this may be faulty even though it is new ??

Dave

Hi Dave,

The charger has been checked and there is definitely power getting to that, there was no power in the battery at all as my daughter had inadvertantly let it die when she realised the charger had 'blown'.

The point in which I plug the charger into looks to be burned, I have wondered if this could be the problem? If so can they be replaced? I just don't want to waste a load of money on something that may not be worth it.

Thanks again
Janethepain

Forgot to say - no lights come on the laptop at all

Sponsored Links
Does sound like the point where the charger goes into may be broken and this is not a cheap job. A lot of them have a plastic attachment which when becomes broken snaps off the system board. Now then, cost wise its not cheap but may be worth popping back to where you got it from and explain to them that you believe its not fit for purpose (shouldnt have broken in such a a short time) and you would like them to repair it ! Now they will tell you it is out of warranty (usually 12 months) but like I say tell them it is not fit for purpose and stick to your guns. Also if you paid by card, get back in touch and again tell them the same.. New laptops are £375 for an ok one...

Dave

Back