Laptop "upgrade"

E

EddieM

Looks like the HDD on my old laptop is starting to fail. I was thinking of upgrading it with one of these

Anyone got any experience of them... I know.... physician heal thyself!

Sponsored Links
SSD are slightly more complicated than a direct swap, or can be, and I have had issues with them in a small form factor barebones kit.

Why do you see it as an upgrade? I would just change it like for like on most situations.

Daniel

SSD are slightly more complicated than a direct swap, or can be, and I have had issues with them in a small form factor barebones kit.

Why do you see it as an upgrade? I would just change it like for like on most situations.

Daniel

Well only by dint of the fact my existing HDD is about to pop its clogs.

Sponsored Links
Because the performance of an SSD is incomparably better than an HDD?
You can compare anything you like....

SSD are typically offer faster access times, are more robust, and quieter running. But they are also typically smaller capacity, more expensive, and performance degrades with time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive#Comparison_with_hard_disk_drives

What operating system does the laptop run?

Daniel
windows vista home premium.... titter ye not!

Because the performance of an SSD is incomparably better than an HDD?
You can compare anything you like....

SSD are typically offer faster access times, are more robust, and quieter running. But they are also typically smaller capacity, more expensive, and performance degrades with time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive#Comparison_with_hard_disk_drives

What operating system does the laptop run?

Daniel

Let me just compare an apple and an asteroid then. Guess they can be similar in shape anyway.

Thanks for the Wikipedia link, I totally didn't know anything about the subject. :rolleyes:

Windows vista home premium.... titter ye not!
I have only used SDDs with Win7, my understanding is that both Vista and XP can be used with a SSD but you need third party software from the drive manufacturer to work as they done support 'TRIM' which is normally used.

If its a high spec laptop you keen to keep hold off, upgrading to copy of Win7 might not be stupid.

But said, otherwise I would simply replace like for like as it not quite as simple as a direct swap and for most people I think life is just a bit short.

Let me just compare an apple and an asteroid then. Guess they can be similar in shape anyway.

Thanks for the Wikipedia link, I totally didn't know anything about the subject. :rolleyes:
Are you trying to help the OP, sell SDDs, or just troll?

Daniel

My laptop, defies all attempts at OS upgrades, win7,8, and 10 upgrades have all failed despite repeated attempts..

Of course I analysed why precisely they all failed but never really got a satisfactory result. I may just get that kit on the understanding that it's probably time for a new laptop, if the clone fails, then I can just reclone the new laptop, trouble is I want nothing to do with win8 or 8.1 but would much rather wait for win 10, which even then I am not sold on.

Tbh, if you are thinking of getting rid anyway I would just stick a £30 disk based unit and tide you over for however many weeks/months/years till you replace it for an easy life.

Or alternatively, work out what you want from the new laptop, and jump ship now.

If your computer use is just run of the mill 'emails, web and getting photos of the camera' £200 you can buy a tidy used Win7 laptop, and do the same again in three-four years time.

Daniel

Are you trying to help the OP, sell SDDs, or just troll?

I'm trying to figure out why you're trying to dissaude him from an SSD which would be a huge performance boost on virtually any machine, not to mention more robust the way people tend to treat laptops.

That said, a cheap 240GB SSD is not an investment worth making.

My laptop, defies all attempts at OS upgrades, win7,8, and 10 upgrades have all failed despite repeated attempts..

Upgrades failing is not surprising, the entire concept of in-place upgrading Windows is flawed. A fresh install would probably work, at least with 7, but whether it's worth the effort or not..

If the laptop's fairly old and tatty, just replace the HDD, or get a new laptop.

The easy way to tell if an SSD will help is to see how hard the hard drive is working whilst you wait for things to load.

Normally the processor is waiting for the hard drive, so as mr bananas said it will nearly always be an upgrade. Where the hard drive isn't doing much and you are waiting for stuff to load, then an SSD won't be such an upgrade.

(It will ALWAYS result in fast boot up times, but who cares about that?)

Sponsored Links
Back