Large area of wooden doorframe to repair around lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DIY-ers,

I want to repair the wooden frame around a badly installed lock. I am happy for the lock to remain, but am not sure how best to fill the badly carved out gaps in the doorframe around it.

See pictures to understand. The largest part is 3cm wide X 2cm deep.

I've thought of cutting up pieces of pine to fill the gaps, PVAing them in, then using wood filler for the remainder, shaping the filler to match the current lines of frame.
Let me know if this is a go-er, or if I should consider something else!

Attachments

• IMG_20191121_131443.jpg
    IMG_20191121_131443.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_20191121_131432.jpg
    IMG_20191121_131432.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 235
Sponsored Links
Thanks Chris, Is that because it'll form a better bond in this instance, as it's not a 'pure' wood-to-wood connection I can control?

Just a gut feeling that it might expand in heat more in line with the surrounding wood, but I am no expert.

Sponsored Links
I'd splice a new bit of timber in, PVA everything and finish off with a light skim of 2 part wood filler over the joins, sand it smooth and prime and gloss.

Oh and in the clip the guy cut the 45° angles the wrong way, meant to be the other way so the wood is locked into place

Hmm, having watched that ,do you think I need to take the lock off the wood to do the work, or can I work around it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back