Large box and no clamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm trying to make a large mdf or plywood box Panel sizes are 840mm x 1000mm x 18mm. I don't have any clamps or anything, so I thought this is going to be impossible to butt joint. Just to line up the first pilot hole to drill is surely going to be a nightmare with panels this size, or am I missing something. Can I do this without equipment, basically I've got a drill :).

Any advice appreciated. I thought perhaps Bildungsroman a frame and just panel it instead, what should I build it out of so it's sturdy.

Sponsored Links
The way I make these up is to fix a 1 x 1in softwood cleat to edges which need to be joined first. These are pilot drilled and countersunk in two sides and then screwed onto the MDF using something like 3.5 x 30mm screws or #8 x 1-1/4in black carcass screws. Watch the depth of your countersinks very carefully - too deep and you'll pierce the outside surface - and make sure that the cleats are bang on to the edge and not overhanging anywhere. Shopfitters do this sort of stuff all the time and with panels that size it really isn't so difficult providing you've got a decent cordless, a fresh driver bit and you avoid cheap and nasty screws (that means DIY store rubbish). It also helps if you can get the material onto a workbench or table so that it's at the right height and if needs be get a second body to hold onto one sheet whilst you screw it down onto the other,

If you can't get another body then make-up a square box from four pieces of MDF, say 300 x 300mm screwed together to make up a box with open ends. This must be absolutely square. It can be clamped to your bench and then to a piece of MDF to hold it upright whilst you assemble the box (for which you will need a couple of clamps)

To check that your boxes are square after you've assembled them measure across the diagonals corner to corner. If the box is square both the diagonals will have the same length

If you use mdf don't screw within 80mm of edges or 100mm of another screw as it increases risk of splitting.Wood glue to edges will help strengthen.

If you use mdf don't screw within 80mm of edges or 100mm of another screw as it increases risk of splitting.Wood glue to edges will help strengthen.
:?: :?: :?: Providing that you pilot drill the correct size and to the correct depth and clean-out the hole that isn't true. If it were half the shop fitting in the UK would fall apart! So would a lot of kitchens which are made from edge screwed MFC (using black carcass screws)

Sponsored Links
:?: :?: :?: Providing that you pilot drill the correct size and to the correct depth and clean-out the hole that isn't true. If it were half the shop fitting in the UK would fall apart! So would a lot of kitchens which are made from edge screwed MFC (using black carcass screws)
That's why I said 'Risk'. most kitchens , shop fittings don't use bare mdf, covered it adds strength.We don't know what strains this box will be put under, even screwed correctly it can split with undue stress.

most ....... shop fittings don't use bare mdf, covered it adds strength.We don't know what strains this box will be put under, even screwed correctly it can split with undue stress.
You'd be surprised at how much bare MDF stuff goes into shops like Debenhams, John Lewis, House of Fraser, etc which is just bare MDF, cleated, screwed. two-packed and painted - including structures wihich carry large weights like carpet frames (although for those I'd generally "cleat" using 2 x 2in PAR softwood). We don't use much plasterboard these days, y'know. MDF onto 1in cleats is surprisingly strong once installed and stitched to the masonry. I agree there wasn't much said about loadings, but if an end panel is fixed onto the 4 sides that should make a very strong structure. Perhaps the OP could enlighten us as to usage.

Jealous you dont know how to wire a panel?
Cannot plan a system?

never seen a alarm panel in my life before, untill few weeks ago, now know about texecom eol, singel eol and double eol, all a piece of p**s now. no different to wireing cat 5 cctv and the telemtry.

Not too sure about the shopfitting lark, but I am pretty sure he said he has no clamps
If you'd bothered to read the full text it started "If you can't get another body then...." :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back