Large car - cheap insurance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will shortly be getting my license back after a ban for a drink-drive incident (of which I am very shameful, regulars here will remember).

Obviously, the endorsement on my license will mean a significant increase in my insurance premium. So to keep my costs to a minimum, I need to buy something in a relatively low insurance group.

The problem is, I'm over 6 foot tall, and I simply don't fit in a fiesta/corsa/micra etc. I need a Mondeo-sized car just to be comfortable (and safe) when driving. At the time of the incident I had a Xantia, which was perfect.

What would anyone suggest? I don't need performance, or anything fancy (despite my "oops", I've never been a boy racer or poser), just need something which is at least sub group 10 whilst still being roomy....

Sponsored Links
What sort of Mondeo are you looking at? Age, engine capacity, petrol/diesel, estate/hatchback etc. I think most of the modern ones are group 9 or 10 unless you are looking at something more fancy.

Sponsored Links
My brother was in your position a while back, had to do a course,which also lead to him being given, i think 2 names of insurers who dealt specifically with these drink drivers, now, i don't know if this insurance was specially for these "group attendees" but he actually got is insurance, and was cheaper than what i was paying! let me know if you would like me to get the names.

i got a ford focus 1.8 zetec very good car and amazingly only group 6 on insurance very reasonable

Nice one ninebob, glad you're getting your license back. I'm not sure quite why insurance is so high after a driving ban. My opinion is that people who've been banned in the past are more likely to value their car and license, and therefore drive more carefully.

Just a thought.

And its worth noting most modern cars, even small ones, have fully adjustable seats and steering columns. I'm six foot tall, and fit comfortably in a Fiesta. I actually found the driving position in the old Punto quite high before I smashed it up, plenty of legroom. What most modern small cars lack in length they make up for in height.

And a diesel Fiesta will set you back £THIRTY FIVE a year in road tax. :LOL:

ninebob said:
The problem is, I'm over 6 foot tall, and I simply don't fit in a fiesta/corsa/micra etc.
My youngest son is 6' 5" and drive an 18 yrs old Mini :!: Mind you he does look like a grasshopper :LOL:

6'2" here and find my Mariva very comfortable. Low insurance group (1.3 CDTI) and high driving position - it's like a mini Zafira!

Jamie

Go onto one of the many web sites that show insurance group then look through the low groups until you find the car that is 'man size'.

A vauxhall omega is very roomy and cheap to buy and insure. I insured a 2.5 v6 cheaper than i could a 1.2 8v corsa, they are less likely to be nicked and normally driven by more sensible drivers than boy racers, but they do have some go to them. The insurance grouping on them seems high but a corsa in group 2/3 cost more, try some quotes on the omegas you might be suprised what you can be covered on.

I guarantee you would fit in a Smart Fortwo.

I sometimes give a lift to a friend of mine who is 6 foot 3 and he gets in without a prob.

And the Smart is only group 1 unsurance!!!!!!!

Plus people will let you out of side streets.

Sponsored Links
Back