Large concrete ring under manhole cover in my garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, there. I need to do a extension on my rear garden, but close to my new foundation, there’s a concrete rectangular manhole cover, I opened it today and found out there’s a large concrete ring underneath it. And there’s two clay pipe opposite on each side, one side still dripping water and the other side have some dry mud on it. Does anyone knows what it is? And what should I do ? Many thanks.
IMG_8525.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8526.jpeg
    IMG_8526.jpeg
    646.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8527.jpeg
    IMG_8527.jpeg
    560.9 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Can I filling it
you need to find out if its redundant -sometimes rainwater drainage is channelled into them and yours looks pretty full so where is it coming from

If its redundant, then you need to speak to building control to find out what they want done with it in regards to your proposed extension.

Sometimes you can simply fill it up with type 1 or concrete crush -Ive done that with a well before, it was 16m deep. In your case you would be best to pump it out first or filling in you might have a big splash, theres a lot of water in there

There might be a culvert.

My town has lots of bricked-over streams. Roadbuilders sometimes accidentally break into them.

A bit generic and ambiguous from me, sorry.

By site drain, I meant a large concrete ring structure with a reducing biscuit and lid - usually dealing with large volumes - i.e. 'site drain'.

View attachment 334244

Ah, I see. Thanks. Is that something that anyone would want to avoid having in their garden? Possible maintenance, blockages, overflowing?

EDIT>>>>>> You answered my questions while I was writing this post. (y)

Sponsored Links
Back