Large crack in internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Our house was built in 1904 when we brought the property there were signs of movement in the upstairs bedroom because of a crack in the internal wall. The survey said it was cosmetic but it has got alot worse it now goes diagonally down the wall from the top corner to the bottom middle of the wall. The crack in some parts is about 6mm and you can see in to the room behind. Can I buy some sort of fix to stop it getting worse or should I get a stuctural engineer to take a look. How much would this cost? Forgot to say the wall is brick and breeze blocks, cover with plaster.

Thanks Paul

Sponsored Links
You need to find out why it is moving before you can think about an appropriate fix

For a crack like this, something is moving outwards or downwards

I would remove the wall and replace it with a partition wall (timber framed and plasterboarded finished with pink plaster), the diagonal crack is not as serious as a vertical crack.

Sponsored Links
Wouldnt this wall be supporting the roof, making it a timber frame with plaster board may weaken the structure?

I would remove the wall and replace it with a partition wall

And what happens if the floor or foundation on which the new wall is built continues to move?

not really as the wall on ground floor would show signs or cracks.

Paulcs34

The partition will work as supporting from the exsisting wall beneath, in most cases supporting walls are on ground floor to support upper floors, if you could add a picture we should be able to see it in more detail.

Hi Our house was built in 1904 when we brought the property there were signs of movement in the upstairs bedroom because of a crack in the internal wall. The survey said it was cosmetic but it has got alot worse Thanks Paul
Valuation survey for the mortgage ? or Proper full survey ? - One you haven`t got any comeback - the other, you should have some redress :idea: Can you post some pictures or even a line drawing of where the wall is in relation to the house

we did have a survey done but it came back saying that it was just cosmetic but since then it has gradually got alot worse. I will try and add a photo. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back