Large drain inspection cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice please. we have had a large drain 800x800 is the cover size. less than 3 metres from our front door. This is the property of Thames Water, it is their foul water drain. Put it this way the drain is so large they couldnt move it even if I requested they do so, or so they told me a while back. They came recently to replace the cover due to it being rusty and loose, becoming a bit of a trip hazard. Not a great thing to have outside your front door but we've lived it with for many years and it has always been double sealed so never had anyproblem with odours etc and it has never looked that obvious (believe it or not). However, we went away on holiday whilst they were doing the replacement cover work. Came back this weekend to find they had changed the cover, but replaced it with a single lid with holes in which is not properly sealed and you can see right down into the very large drain, and at certain time see the water flowing. Baking hot weather and a terrible whiff coming off it!! Also they have made a total mess of the work, and have slapped an extra 6-7 inches thick of a white concrete all the way round the edge of the metal cover. Its a total eyesore. They were only meant to change the cover yet my neighbour said the men were out digging, drilling and all sorts. I have spent all morning trying to get Thames Water to speak to me about this as i am demanding they need to come and put a new lid on it. The planning office are just not interested in taking my call. There is no sign that they have done the proper haunches or anything, Its a nightmare. and anyone coming to the front door can get a whiffy sewage smell! Can anyone tell me what my rights are on this. I just dont understand why they didnt double seal it to begin with. it has been double sealed for as long as I can remember. But are they entitled to just leave it like that? thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
yeah thats my problem. It most definitely stinks badly and used to be kept sealed tight so I'm convinced they've put the wrong cover on it. its right outside my front door and is embarrassing, the look and the smell of it. If they refuse to change the cover how easy is it to have a double sealed cover installed? I'll pay for it myself if I have to!!

Are you 100% sure it's not a case of "Smelly Foot" :LOL: :LOL:

Is it on your land? Do you own the area where this cover is?
If so tell Thames Water that if they do not sort it within 24 hours you will fill the manhole with concrete, it is your land so you can do whatever you want.
Doubtful legally but threats often work with these companies. also make sure you get the full name of anyone you speak to.
Threats can work wonders. Why should Thames Water not do this properly?

Yes it is on my private land. I may end up using your advice about threatening them as I have a horrible feeling they won't want to sort it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back