Large gaps down shower wall posts - how to keep water out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've managed to install a replacement shower door but the wall posts either side of the door do not sit flush to the wall over their whole length. The wall is probably not true. I have read many posts warning against sealing inside the cubical with silicone - so how should I keep excess water from getting behind the gaps in the space between wall and wall posts?

Would using a plastic strip be sensible?

Or does it not matter too much?

Any advice very welcome.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't really matter, just seal down the outside. Any water behind the posts will run down and find its way back into the tray.

Thank you denso13. I've had another look at the shower from inside and must say I'm very nervous - the gaps are big enough to slide a £1 coin in - and I can't help feeling I should try to keep water from going in.

Would it be advisable to seal down to the last 5cm or so? Or is that a no no?

I have added a few pics - and I just lost a £1 coin checking the gap really was that big - it is...

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure, in the dim and distance past, one reputable manufacturer suggested something similar. If you seal inside, down each post, but leave a gap at the bottom, that will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back