Large Pergola/car port - is PP needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, a friend would like a Pergola type structure building over her drive.

She first asked if I know how to mke a Pergola, however this is more like a car port :D

It will not have any closed sides or closed roof, but will be classic pergola type wooden construction.

Does it need any LABC approval etc?

Also are there any limits on the size/height ?

I dont think there will be a problem but best to check & see if you know any different. If needs be I can ring the LABC to ask.

P.S. any links to pictures or plans for similar structures would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AFAIK, if its not forward of the property line and its a temporary structure (not brick built) then theres no problem, its like a shed.

Await confirmation though!

OK cheers.

I'd estimate it being 12-15' wide & 20' long, possibly attached to the house by bolting one end to it.

Sponsored Links
.... its a temporary structure (not brick built) then theres no problem, its like a shed.

There is no such thing as a temporary structure in planning regulations. And even a garden shed is "development" in planning terms.

A pergola is "development", and if it does not come under ones permitted development allowance, then it will require formal planning permission

With regards to LABC approval. then this is unlikely to come under building control remit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back