1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Detached timber car port - building regs question

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by Inchy, 20 Nov 2020.

1. Inchy

Inchy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all -

Planning on building a 4-bay open timber car port under permitted development, detached from our house and 2m+ from the boundary. Everything about the design would comply with PD in terms of heights, eaves etc etc.

However, the dimensions would be something like 12m wide x 4.8m deep, which suggests it would be way outside the 30m2 rule for not needing Building Regs.

I'm wondering whether it's allowed to build two separate but adjacent 2-bay ports 6m wide x 4.8m deep (so each one would be within the 30m2 limit)?

If so would there be a guideline for how far apart they would need to be to be definitively separate buildings as far as the Building Regs people are concerned?

And likewise in what ways could the gap between the two structures be bridged without it then being one structure? Naturally the gap between roofs would need to stay, but could I, for example, run timber panelling across the small gap (0.5m or so?) at the front, just to help disguise the end posts of each structure being only 0.5m apart?

It's not ideal in comparison with a single structure, but just wondering if it's an option.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. frutbunn

frutbunn

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No distance is specified as long as they are not attached to each other and under 30 sq m,

4. Captain Nemesis

Captain Nemesis

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is it a building if it isnt fully walled?

5. frutbunn

frutbunn

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah.
    There are powers in the Building Act that allows for a vehicle, vessel, hovercraft, aircraft or other movable object of any kind to be classed as buildings, though this has never been implemented.

6. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If I wanted to extend my drink trolley, would I need full plans or can I do it under a building notice?

7. Captain Nemesis

Captain Nemesis

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You need a cocktail of methods.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Cheers

9. Sponsored Links