large shed / play house, don't want wooden floor?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope you can shed some light before I begin, as this question begins the rest of the project!

I am going to build a T&G large (around 20x9ft) shed come playroom. I have already laid the base in concrete.

I want to build up the thing and then tile the floor on the inside, much like you would an oldy worldy kitchen.

What do I do about the wooden walls being on the floor and hence getting wet and rotting?

Only the front of the thing is going to be visible, the rest will be encapsulated by 6 ft fencing, so may be a cheaper option than T&G for the 3 sides too?

Ideas and criticisms welcome!! Cheers! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The wall plate treated timber on a dpc strip and fixed to the base right on the edge of the base . So the external cladding will discharge rain water clear of base and framing job done.
The cladding will have to be accessible for treatment/painting so you could use sheathing ply on the 3 unseen sides for economy.

Ahh, I have concreted right to the edge of existing fencing, so cant 'shed' the water over the edge of it....... :cry:

Maybe that was my first mistake already! Plus I dug down so the base is even with gravel in front of it, although the gravel has excellent drainage, so shedding water in front is going to be OK...

Maybe build a single brick border, screeded to concrete base, then put the wooden walls on top of this?

Thanks for the sheathing ply tip, I'll find out how much it is!

The low wall will do it but use a brick you can fix to, you do not want the play room blown away in high winds sheathing ply has one good surface only and will need paint etc .

Sponsored Links
Thanks OLD :D

Stupid question, but is there a particular brick that would be better then for fixing to? And I guess anchoring right through the brick to the base in a few strategic places would be good! For the rest would masonary nails suit?

Thanks again!

Ahh, I have concreted right to the edge of existing fencing, so cant 'shed' the water over the edge of it....... :cry:

Maybe that was my first mistake already! Plus I dug down so the base is even with gravel in front of it, although the gravel has excellent drainage, so shedding water in front is going to be OK...

Maybe build a single brick border, screeded to concrete base, then put the wooden walls on top of this?

Thanks for the sheathing ply tip, I'll find out how much it is!

Well, the cheeky Essex lad Tommy Walsh, built his workshop up on a course of concrete blocks, with metal studs fixed into the concrete around the perimeter, which go up through the vertical mortar joints of the blocks, and through a wooden sole plate on dpc which the rest of the shed is built on. Get some tubes of resin and a few 300mm long metal studs.

My own shed is built upon a 2 course low brick wall, dpc, timber frame. The timber is fixed to the concrete base with a few L shaped restraining straps. These are fixed into the concrete with hammer in fixings in discreet areas.

OK, I have a plan now so can crack on. Cheers! Although what does DPC stand for?

Cheers!

Ah, I know what that is kind of, well I do when you refer to a house. So Now it's going to be brick, then a membrane, ie DPC, then wood on top. Secure the wood to concrete base so the shed doesn't ever move and Bobs my uncle? :LOL:

are you aware that you should have planning permision if you are less than a m away from the boundary/fence!!!!! :rolleyes:

No I wasn't, but the neighbours are fine, so maybe I'll chance it! :eek:

No I wasn't, but the neighbours are fine, so maybe I'll chance it! :eek:

thats the main thing :D ;)

mines is is only 2ft or down to 8" on 3 sides
other requirements are must be less than 3m high for a flat roof or 4m for a slopping
also must be less than 30square m

there are other requirements but these are the main ones

but keeping the neibours happy is the main one :D ;)

I'll have to measure it more precisely and see how many sq metres, but I think it will all be fine. It isn't going to be intrusive and my left neighbour already has a huge shed alongside the fence!

Once the weather permits I'l get cracking with the bricks first. Am planning to build it as an open fronted affair, so I can store in it while doing the more decorative front.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back