Large Soil Pipe? What to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Just after a bit of advice if possible.

Were finally getting round to replacing our cloakroom set as it's been a room to avoid since we moved in!!

When we've removed the old toilet it looks to have been sitting on a large soil pipe 8" in diameter which then seems to reduce, but the old toilet was then packed out with filler to make a seal.

I've attached some pics of what is left and just wonderinf what the hell I can do with it as a flexable waste doesnt seem like it will do the job.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Sponsored Links
I’ve got (had) one of those in my cloakroom! I just cut it off flush with the floor using a stone cutting disc & used an angled pan connector between the w/c & the drain; it should fit directly into the clay pipe. The only problem I had was that the drain & old w/c was too far away from the wall for a modern close coupled unit so I had to build a false stud wall behind it. It served a good purpose though as I was able to insulate what was originally a single skin brick wall (garage on other side) & build in a neat little alcove with a mirror & some down lights above over the corner sink unit; looks very impressive! Oak flooring hides the remains of the large diameter clay pipe which is now flush with the concrete floor below.

Richard C";p="959018 said:
I’ve got (had) one of those in my cloakroom! I just cut it off flush with the floor using a stone cutting disc & used an angled pan connector between the w/c & the drain; it should fit directly into the clay pipe.

I am curious how did you seal the annular area between the pipes?

After all if you have a stoppage waste can flow out of the sides and also sewer gases are not only highly flammable but also carcinogenic.

Most plumbers strive to have a water and gas tight connection and placing a 4" pipe for example into an 8" one will not allow for proper scouring action

:confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
it looks to me like what you are looking at is a socket.

In the days before plastic pipes, you used to connect one salt-glazed earthenware clay pipe to another by having a socket on one, that would accept the end of the other, and you sealed the joint with tarred rope, sand and cement etc.

You used a similar socket to poke the connector of a WC into. It's just the way they used to do things. You can now get a connector where the male part has plastic fins round it enabling it to seal into the pipe you poke it into.

It is possible to cut the socket off a clay pipe but very tiresome when the pipe cracks and breaks and you have to dig it out.

It is also possible to get a socket that you attach to the end of a pipe with mortar (and Unibond) so perhaps you have one of those.

p.s. that chipboard flooring is awful stuff. even though the have the green, it will not survive damp for lomg.

Sylvan Tieger";p="959062 said:
I am curious how did you seal the annular area between the pipes?

After all if you have a stoppage waste can flow out of the sides and also sewer gases are not only highly flammable but also carcinogenic.

Most plumbers strive to have a water and gas tight connection and placing a 4" pipe for example into an 8" one will not allow for proper scouring action

:confused: :confused:
I sincerely hope you’re winding me up! :eek: It's only the spigot that's 8" diameter; :rolleyes: the internal diameter of the clay soil pipe is around 110 mm so the pan connector fits as is would into plastic soil pipe.

John D;
I didn’t have a problem & as long as you take your time there is no reason why the clay pipe should crack but admit it would be a total bummer :LOL: if it did! But, at the end of the day, who wants a booldy great clay spigot sticking out of the floor in their new bathroom; kill or cure was my approach. I would ditch the chipboard though, awful stuff!

Make sure you put some rag or something down the soil pipe to catch any bits of rubble when you cut the collar off. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back