Large wet patch appeared under window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody have any idea what could have caused this or how it could be remedied? We have had driving rain with heavy duty wind for a few days now but I just don't know how the water could be getting in I can't see or feel any gaps in the seal and the window sill is dry.

Things are further complicated by being 15 storeys up in a flat so checking externally isn't possible. The walls are solid concrete.

Any advice on how to dry it out would also be welcome. (pic below to show what it looks like)

Thanks!
IMG_20191208_132510.jpg

Sponsored Links
That would be the landlord/managing agents problem. And the costs of redecoration.

Am with "Woody" on who needs to sort out the problem.

Could be a failure of the window to structure sealant?? or some sort of failure of the sealant between the concrete panels.

Do any other flats report a similar problem?

Can I ask if the flat is rented? or do you actually own the flat?

Ken.

We own the flat so are het for any issues I would think. The windows were installed by the Council in the early 2000s before the flat was bought.

The council used a cowboy contractor and other flats in the block have had issues over time including damp and mould around windows etc but this is a first for us and obviously being so high up makes it nigh on impossible for someone to have a look at what's going on from the outside

Sponsored Links
Kmac94, Hi again.

Can I stir it?? does your block have some sort of "Tenants Committee"?

If so can I suggest that you go to the next meeting and see what the "temperature" of feeling is as regards your Issue?

Best to act as a group against the Council [local newspapers often can assist? nudge / nudge/ wink/ wink???]

Ken.

Most likely it'll be the silicon bodge between the frame and the exterior structure has got old and peeled off (20 years isn't bad really). By the look of it the main bit of that window doesn't open- can you stick your head out of the openable bit and have a look at the joins between frame and structure especially the side low down near the externaal sill.
If you can't get your head out the window (or reach the knackered bits to scrape off silicon and redo) then there is a scary option- pop the beads on the glass, pull the whole pane out (lucky you've got internal beads) and work away being very careful not to drop anything :).

I'm sure that even though you own your flat you'll be paying service charges to someone & that sort of repair should be part of that service charge- so DIYing it should very much be as a last resort.

EDIT Is there an installed window cleaning cradle on the block- if so it becomes much easier to get the repair done from the outside

If it has 'appeared' then it could be something simple like the sill drain vents are blocked. Check that they are clear.

We own the flat so are het for any issues I would think
You might own the flat, but you almost certainly don't own the structure and wont be responsibile for the "structure and exterior". I would check your lease, so that you dont end up paying for accessing work 15 storeys up when you dont have to.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I shall do a bit of snooping round the neighbours I'm friendly with and see if they are experiencing similar and then maybe get in touch with the council. There's no window cleaning cradle attached to the building and I tried to stick my head out and look but there's a bit of a lip at the bottom of the outside of the frame and that is where I suspect the water is coming in so I couldn't get eyes on it.

In the meantime the wet patch grew larger but the driving rain and wind have stopped so I've got the window open and the heating on to hopefully get it to start drying out for now.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I shall do a bit of snooping round the neighbours I'm friendly with and see if they are experiencing similar and then maybe get in touch with the council. There's no window cleaning cradle attached to the building and I tried to stick my head out and look but there's a bit of a lip at the bottom of the outside of the frame and that is where I suspect the water is coming in so I couldn't get eyes on it.

In the meantime the wet patch grew larger but the driving rain and wind have stopped so I've got the window open and the heating on to hopefully get it to start drying out for now.
You need to tell the council now. Otherwise if you are due compensation for the defect and the time you have experienced the damage, then this will be limited to the time from when the council was notified about it.

To jolly them along, you could issue a statutory nuisnace notice and require them to rectify the fault within 21 days, otherwise you will just have to chance it and hope they respond sooner rather than later.

In any case, keep records of contact made, times, dates, reference numbers and names.

You wont stop that leak from the inside or hanging out the window. It needs a proper inspection from the outside, and then the repair.

If you think you know what needs sealing on the window, be very careful, because it's possible to inadvertently seal up something you think is a gap but is actually to drain the water from the frame to the outside. This make the problem worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back