laser levels

noseall said:
your response to my tower distance statement was fairly ambiguous
Does that mean it was less ambiguous than a very ambiguous response would have been?

but if i were building, lets say the Akashi-Kaikyo bridge in Japan, then i would certainly allow "a greater measurement at the top of my columns than at the bottom.
OK. So what's the minimum width of river that would require "a greater measurement at the top of my columns than at the bottom"?

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
OK. So what's the minimum width of river that would require "a greater measurement at the top of my columns than at the bottom"?

i haven't got a clue.

i would imagine it will apply only to suspension bridges, as these cover huge uninterrupted spans and use very tall columns. the differences are only in the realms of 20-50 mm between top and bottom measurements and are only relevant to engineer checks and gps.

a large bridge deck and superstructure can flex and wane as much as 2m. so i guess 50mm ain't gonna matter an awful lot.

as i said the checks are there to make sure the columns are perpendicular.

Sponsored Links
well i must say i'm glad the guy asked about laser levels because the responses have been most helpfull,

should i ever need to build a bridge across a couple of mile wide river of course!

:eek:

hogster said:
what's the general opinion of laser levels?
Pretty useful, but as with many tools you get what you pay for. Cheap lasers don't last and aren't all that accurate - a builder's 1m level, however is generally pretty accurate and lasts for many years (my Stabila costs £70 these days and is approaching 25 years old).

hogster said:
just want something pretty basic for using when putting up shelves etc, just wondering how they fix to the wall for "easy hands free operation"....notice the B&D models have pins....doesn't that mark the walls/surface, any advice would be much appreciated.
The answer is that with many machines you nail or screw a mounting plate onto the wall then hang the laser on that (at least that's how the Bosch I have works as do some of the Pacific Laser and Stabila models I've used, too) - so that does tend to mark the walls, although in a new kitchen or a new build that's hardly a problem :LOL: . In general, though, I use my laser level on top of a tripod (in my case a Velbon AE photographic tripod I've had since my school days!). This allows me to draw a single horizontal datum line from which I measure up and down to get my other horizontals and drilling points, turned through 90 degrees I can also mark verticals in different places by swivelling the laser on the tripod's pan head. I doo however feel that a cross-hair laser would possibly be more useful for me in the sort of work I'm now doing.

Scrit

thatll be another bit of kit in the van then! :LOL:

by the way i made the 750 metres up....i havnt got a clue! :LOL: :LOL:

Thermo said:
thatll be another bit of kit in the van then! :LOL:

by the way i made the 750 metres up....i havnt got a clue! :LOL: :LOL:

ooh you cheeky git. typical of an ex rozza not to lose his rhetorical skills. ;)

kept you and softus quiet though didnt it! He He HE!!! :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Thermo said:
kept you and softus quiet though didnt it!
Er, no actually. Your figure was so obviously nonsense that I didn't think it needed any response. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back