Line Laser Levels - £40 vs £400?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Stanley Cubix, a slightly different model to this:
https://www.misterworker.com/en-gb/...ross-line-red-beam-laser-st-18-005/10918.html

I think I picked it up for about £40 a couple of years ago and it has been pretty handy in doing various DIY tasks like putting up shelves etc. I've just got it out to help with levelling a kitchen but it now seems to be playing up - it switches on for 20 seconds or so, but then switches off. Not that handy for several hours levelling cabinets.

I'm looking at replacements. I felt the range of the cubix was a bit poor and the laser line itself quite thick - but I am amazed as the difference in prices between different line laser levels. Other than range (I'm never going to need more than 13m) and accuracy (you have to spend £400+ to get better than 0.3mm/m accuracy) - I'm not that clear what justifies the difference in cost.

I'd like something with 0.3mm/m accuracy or better with a bit more range, and ideally thinner laser. What do you have? Anything you'd recommend at £100, £150, £200 price points?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have a gll3-80p it's ok, would prefer the green laser version, but I think it's about £200 extra.

I just picked up one of the DeWalt DCE089G for £200 used on eBay. It's a hell of a lot better than the Cubix I had before. It just depends how much use you'll get out of it if you can justify the expense.

Sponsored Links
I just picked up one of the DeWalt DCE089G for £200 used on eBay. It's a hell of a lot better than the Cubix I had before. It just depends how much use you'll get out of it if you can justify the expense.

I'd never buy a second hand laser level.

Good for you.

I did. It was sold as having been newly calibrated. When I received the item I did the calibration tests and it's spot on. Happy days.

As with most second hand sales websites, you can rest assured everything they say is 100% the truth.

The reason(s) I don't always believe what I read are, I've been had buying second hand laser equipment more times than I've found a bargain and secondly if you're buying something for the sake of accuracy, why take the risk.

It'll be alright if you're just using it as a DIYer but at that, you won't need a DCE089.

If you did get a 089G for £200 I'll presume it was bare and either stolen or knocked about and refurbished. Neither of which I would buy either.
Screenshot_20190305-200320.png

Should there be a certificate if its beeb calibrated?

Neither my DCE088D1G or DCE089D1G (Or any other DeWalt laser I've had) have come with a certificate of calibration when new.

Had to return a 088K under warranty once and that didn't come back with one either.

As with most second hand sales websites, you can rest assured everything they say is 100% the truth.

The reason(s) I don't always believe what I read are, I've been had buying second hand laser equipment more times than I've found a bargain and secondly if you're buying something for the sake of accuracy, why take the risk.

It'll be alright if you're just using it as a DIYer but at that, you won't need a DCE089.

If you did get a 089G for £200 I'll presume it was bare and either stolen or knocked about and refurbished. Neither of which I would buy either.
View attachment 160327

Yeah, each to their own. I take your point about accuracy, etc. I was willing to take the chance based on the sale presented - I got it through EBay but sold by a Cash Converters store. Of course it could be nicked, or damaged but so could any second hand item - as whoever sold it to cash converts had to present ID so somewhat less chance of being pinched. eBay offers some buyer protection.

It came with the battery and the mounting bracket only. No case or charger but I had the latter anyway.

I am only a diyer, but have a big project coming up with my extension. I also prefer a decent tool that will last, even if I don’t buy it new...like I said, that’s my preference.

Just in case you don’t believe me:)

83FF6F93-9F00-4D6A-BAB2-C245E23C154C.png

Just in case you don’t believe

Oh I believed you, I just didn't believe it would be a legitimate item.

Of course it could be nicked, or damaged but so could any second hand item - as whoever sold it to cash converts had to present ID so somewhat less chance of being pinched. eBay offers some buyer protection.

It came with the battery and the mounting bracket only. No case or charger but I had the latter anyway

Sounds stolen. Trouble is, regardless of the presenting ID situation, unless the personal who had it nicked (presuming it is) has the serial number registered they have very little come back. This is also of Cash Converters were to check the serial which they often don't.

Dryliner on site leaves his laser on his mounting bracket while he goes for lunch...

Who's going to have a laser and battery but no charger, who wouldn't sell it themselves through eBay for probably more than £200 if it looks legitimate?

A thief.

Now I'm not going to try and dig at you and all what I've just said is based on a presumption without evidence but I'm sure you've heard there's no smoke without fire?

Unfortunately, as long as people buy stolen tools the hard working trades that buy them will keep losing out.

Never heard of bare tools, job lots, people leaving the trade or going out of business and selling their gear?

All equally legitimate reasons why not everything comes with all its accessories or sold at near RRP...doesn’t mean it’s been nicked.

I’ll sleep easy with this tool in my collection and you can sleep easy with your moral high ground :)

Never heard of bare tools

It isn't bare. It's also caked in plasterboard dust on the eBay photos.

doesn’t mean it’s been nicked.

As I've said, the shoe fits and I'd bet on that over it being bankrupt stock.

I’ll sleep easy with this tool in my collection and you can sleep easy with your moral high ground :)

Nothing to do with a moral high ground and everything to do with having thousands of pounds of my own tools stolen along my with my van and pickup being broken into over 6 times.

Here's a video of the first time it happened:

(If you look closely you'll see a pair of DeWalt lasers under his arm, I suppose they ended up in cash converters as bankrupt stock too).

Sorry to hear about your loses, I understand it not nice when s*it happens but at the same time it doesn’t make everyone a crook.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back