laser levels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what's the general opinion of laser levels? just want something pretty basic for using when putting up shelves etc,just wondering how they fix to the wall for "easy hands free operation"....notice the B&D models have pins....doesnt that mark the walls/surface,any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Many cheap/simple ones just cast a single line - IMHO if it doesn't cast a line all around the room then it wouldn't be of much use.

If you're putting a shelf on a wall then you'd be better off using a traditional spirit level of good quality.

if you get a laser level always use a spirit level to final check the level.

Sponsored Links
If you use a spirit level then always use a water level to check the level. ;)

...and it's worth getting a second opinion, so get a mate to check it with his laser level...

on the laser, would it need to be set somewhere between bulldozer and eyeball?

Does that mean that it's less curved over short distances?

Softus said:
Does that mean that it's less curved over short distances?

relative only to differential comparison and veiwing perspectives

a builder of bridges over great distances will need to set very tall supporting columns further apart at the top than the bottom to allow for the curvature of the earth, even though they are exactly the same height (from a datum).

noseall said:
...need to set very tall supporting columns further apart at the top than the bottom...
Does that mean that very short columns would not need to be set further apart at the top?

So what's the smallest tower height that would require this setting-apart-at-the-top business?

your response to my tower distance statement was fairly ambiguous, so my response was ambiguous ('yup') too.

now that you have been more specific i will try to be more precise.

if i were to build a bridge over our local canal and were to use, lets say a pair of concrete columns at 6m apart, then it would be fair to assume i could build them perpendicular and still use the same measurement top and bottom.

but if i were building, lets say the Akashi-Kaikyo bridge in Japan, then i would certainly allow a greater measurement at the top of my columns than at the bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back