Laser Line Level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This question is aimed at professional landscapers.

I'm a young tradesman recently started out on my own, I'm getting more and more outside work.

I've got to build a large pergola/trellis outside and was thinking about getting a laser line level to help me with my verticals/horizontals.

I'm sure the tool would come in handy for many other outside jobs like pegging out levels when setting out a patio etc.

Is this something pro's landscapers use frequently, is it worth me in investing in one?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have one, never use it, never found the need, to be honest.

But, its a cool gadget, so if you can afford on, get one and have fun!

Thanks WabbitPoo. But you're an experienced landscaper. Do you think I would benefit when sorting out my levels for patios etc?

Could you see the benefit or would it not be very good for some reason that I can't understand?

I'm a DIYer, not a pro, and i have one... don't use it either... the kids play with it though.

My problem with it is, what if it's not calibrated right, or has got a knock or two in your toolbox?

I don't know about you, but i must have 4 spirit levels... and when i use one, i always check it against one of the others !!

The old ways are tried and tested...

Sponsored Links
A selection of decent levels, of various lengths, is all you need really, plus some wooden pegs or sticks for pegging out levels and lines. More versatile and you can read them in daylight, not something that you can say of a laser (although you can get goggles which help in that regard)

you will not get a level for plumbing verticals or squares that will work outside. I have a self levelling rotary laser level which you can also use for setting grades although this function i have never used.

A self levelling laser makes setting up levels on site very quick and easy but also very accurately as opposed to long straight bits of timber with levels on them. It is particularly useful on larger sites/jobs.

To be honest i would say its borderline as to whether its worth having or not. Is is very handy when excavating and saves you going to deep with a digger or in in footings etc, which in turn saves you time and money when having to fill back in. It's other advantage is when surveying sites which need a bit of re-velling as it make working tranfering levels pretty instantanious.

i bought a decent second hand one for 250 and it is useful and i would say will pay for itself over a few years but as i said definately not a neccessity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back