Latch not turning with handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I believe someone has tampered with the lock to the side gate in my garden. Picture attached. The handle is not in its usual horizontal position, it is slightly loose and further down. When turning the handle the mechanism does not catch the latch and does not retract into the lock so I cannot open the side gate.

The lock itself works fine, I can lock/unlock it, but the latch part is not moving as its not responding/clicking when I turn the handle.

I have tried to push the latch back in manually but it only moves so far.

Any ideas what I could do myself before I call out a locksmith?

THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
it looks like a steel door. It is not a common UK domestic design. Is that a steel bar handle that has been bent? If so it looks like great force has been used and you can expect the mechanism to have been damaged.

Is there a removable handle on the inside? You might be able to pull out the spindle and turn the square socket with a very large screwdriver or a new spindle.

If you cannot press the latch back from the inside, you might be able to cut it through with an angle grinder, otherwise you will need a locksmith.

You might consider a round knob, which will be harder for burglars to grip, or an aluminium handle, that will snap off, next time.

You can probably recover the old lock cylinder, and put it in the new lock case, which may be handy if you have issued multiple keys.

Hi,

Yes it was a custom made steel door.
Thanks for the advice, will give it a try.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back