Latch plate?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This old door had a big latch, which if i replace would probably take up the whole frame. I was thinking of just cutting out a bit and putting a small metal plate of some sort, like a mending plate. Any suggestions?

IMG_20200607_142621515.jpg

Sponsored Links
that's a pressed steel flanged rimlock (horizontal sashlock), so it needs a surface staple (keep). I don't think I've seen the staple to suit sold separately.

if you want, you can put a block of wood on the frame, and let in the staple from a sashlock, which will incorporate a curved tonge for your latch. There are usually around 20-25mm wide and a narrow one would be adequate in your case. The wooden block need only be a fraction thicker because the width is mostly on the faceplate.
era-fortress-262-box-keep-chrome_1.jpg
There are lots around, I can send you one for postage cost if you want.

The lock type you show is very insecure, but will be strong enough to keep the door shut in light winds.

They are still manufactured, for use in sheds.
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?query=rimlock

and there are a few much better Marston ones, used in utility cabins (and my shed).

Thanks. This is an internal door for the bathroom, so wind shouldn't be a problem. All our internal doors are like this, i guess people were more private in the past!

Rummaged around in the shed and found one. Chiselled out, split the frame, glued the frame, should be ok once painted.

Better than the original.

IMG_20200607_163002669.jpg

IMG_20200607_162908922.jpg

Sponsored Links
I thought you'd lost the original. I would have kept it - surely it looks far more in keeping with that big lock, if that's your style.

No, don't like the original, to chunky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back