Late Onset Mathematics Study

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing A level Maths. Had a C grade last week at AS. Will probably do it again, because I'm trying to learn Maths more than chase grades. This time round I was short of ideas. Also, at 65, I don't need to rush.

Sponsored Links
Well done, good for you! :)
If you are struggling with a concept, or want check your workings, let us know.
I'm sure there are a few of us on here who enjoy a little bit of maths! :)

I never quite understood what was going on in Calculus; sure I learned the differential coefficients of by heart, and used them to pass exams, but when it came to solving real life engineering problems like the acceleration forces experienced by an engine's connecting rod, or the momentum of a set of piston rings I was mostly stumped. Calculus is a big part of 'applied' maths, and I'm generally no good at just remembering facts. The book 'Calculus for dummies' greatly increased my understanding of this important area - much more than the many university books I'd tried before.

The book 'Calculus for dummies' greatly increased my understanding of this important area - much more than the many university books I'd tried before.
I'm currently reading "infinite Powers: The story of calculus.. ".
I've studied calculus as part of an engineering course, but was following the rules, rather than truly understanding (...and have absolutely no recollection of it at A Level Further Maths!).
The above isn't an easy 'popular science' read; but explaining the history of the discovery of calculus, hugely helped me to gain an understanding of its use and context in practical situations.

Sponsored Links
I'm doing A level Maths. Had a C grade last week at AS. Will probably do it again, because I'm trying to learn Maths more than chase grades. This time round I was short of ideas. Also, at 65, I don't need to rush.
Do you do it online or through a local college?

Blup

I wasn't a massive fan of calculus when I did my pure and applied maths A'level.

In my first semester of my second year at uni, we had a subject called "maths for economists". It largely consisted of matrices and partial derivatives. For some reason, I found that I suddenly really enjoyed advanced calculus. I got a first on that course, I calculated that it was likely that I got about 96% in the exam which is just as well because they were threatening to kick me out for not turning up to other lectures.

From memory, the sole course workbook was "fundamental methods of mathematical economics" by Chiang

Looking through the free to download PDF, I have forgotten most of it....

Do you do it online or through a local college?

Blup
I'm lucky to have a long relationship with a comp (governor, exam invigilator) and the former head of Maths, now DH is a personal friend. We meet up about once a week for 90 mins/2hrs; and I bat problems over to him online during the week. He misses the teaching, so it suits us both.

The book 'Calculus for dummies' greatly increased my understanding of this important area.
Apologies, having dug it out of the loft I find it's called 'Calculus made simple', and not as stated above. The first chapter explains differentiation from first principles, and develops from there. For me it was hard to remember lists of differential coefficients, but it was easy to work them out once I knew the fundamentals.

Anyone want to try and answer this?

NB: it is calculus related. Surface area is infinite, but the volume is finite.

Sponsored Links
Back